Star drill?

on 10/11/2007 10:23 AM willshak said the following:

BTW, please point out the message(s) where I argued with anyone. I simply ignored the messages that didn't answer my question. Any responses I made were in direct response to a question asked, or an answer to my original question.

Reply to
willshak

Hey, no problem. Any time you need advice, just come to the helpful folks here, then ignore what we say. Hope you really get your ass in a bind next time and ask for advice.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I wasn't rude to anyone who suggested alternatives. I just didn't answer at all. If that's rude, I'm apparently not the only one. Someone asked why I didn't want to use another suggested tool and I answered the question. Maybe that's bitching, but I call it a direct response to the 'why not' question asked.

Reply to
willshak

Finding the keyboard operational SteveB entered:

There seems to be quite the tempest in a teacup brewing here. As I see it, Bill asked where he might find a star drill and then explained why he wanted it. Some people told him that he was going about making the holes the wrong way and that he should get other equipment. Bill did state, more then once, that he had no intention of getting other tools and wanted to do it his way. He didn't say why he wanted to do it his way but it's his choice. Instead he was told that he was wasting his time and it was implied that he was stupid. Let me put it another way. I like to do a bit of woodworking. I get a piece fo tree trunk and split and cut it into boards. Now I could buy boards but I choose not to. I also prefer to use hand tools more then most people would. So if I asked where I could find a new blade for my frame saw and got replies telling me to buy a band saw, I would be rude if I ignored that advice? Bob

--

-- Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times

The Other Funk

on 10/11/2007 3:03 PM SteveB said the following:

I knew about a star drill. I referred to it as a star drill when I was asking where to get one. .

Which didn't answer my question.

Show me where I insulted anyone.

Reply to
willshak

on 10/11/2007 3:07 PM SteveB said the following:

Yeah, that is what I was doing too. Reading, taking in, but not answering. :-)

I did shut up. I didn't interrupt anyone telling me to use a hammer drill.

Reply to
willshak

The man who wrote in was obviously clueless, as he didn't even know about a star drill. Instead of people telling him how to drill 40 holes with a star drill, they suggested that he do it the modern easy fast way.

Then to prove his cluelessness, he proceeded to insult those who offered him advice trying to save him time and work.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"willshak" wrote

Yes, that was me. The reason I didn't reply was that I was READING the advice people had to give, taking it in, and putting some of it into practice. That required no response from me, but only to be respectful enough to shut up and read.. That is equal to stopping talking and LISTENING when having a conversation after you've asked someone for advice.

The remark about the axe handle was not snide, but a little humor that went SWOOSH right over your head! (the sound of a joke going over an empty air space)

I wish you well, Pard. You may go now.

Plonk.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I just deleted the entire thread and suggest others do to.

Reply to
Glenn

on 10/11/2007 4:25 PM Glenn said the following:

Yes, the problem was solved and there is no need to continue, unless someone wants to add something to it.

Reply to
willshak

Try:

You don't get it. You never will get it. When people try to help you you say "Thank you!" No one will force you to take their advice, but you say "Thank you!" to be nice. That is the price you have to pay to get free advice. Now, when you next ask for advice on usenet, and don't get any responses, think back to this thread and then don't even think about asking why...

Reply to
PeterD

on 10/11/2007 6:18 PM SteveB said the following:

Ah, you won't read this unless someone else responds to it, but I think you have gone over the edge. Troll, for asking a legitimate question?

Reply to
willshak

on 10/11/2007 5:45 PM PeterD said the following:

Didn't you kill file me, or does your Plonk machine not work? There are no insults in there. Did I call anyone stupid, or ignorant, like some called me for daring to use an old technology instead of the latest, greatest, state of the art technology?

Reply to
willshak

Also killfiled the troll that started it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

on 10/11/2007 5:45 PM PeterD said the following:

No! YOU don't get it. I didn't ask for advice. I asked a simple and direct question about where to buy a tool. What I got, for the most part, were alternatives to the tool I was asking about. So, it's an old tool, and alternatives are available, which I know about. I don't live in a bubble. I wanted to use the old tool.

Thank you, to all that responded.

I'll try to re-phrase my questions better, since this was one of my few, if any, original questions, rather than the many responses to others I had posted.

Reply to
willshak

Bill, it's time to let this one go. Unless you feel like you're 'winning' when you have the last post in the thread, having the last word doesn't mean squat.

The thing that threw me from the get go was your statement that you had Googled and hadn't found anything. Say what?

So unless you can't spell either star or drill - and Google would correct it for you if you couldn't - then something is mighty odd on your end of the internet. You wrote, "A Google search brings up a lot of sports drills (training regimen)." Well, yeah, that and every other result on the Google results page was for the hand held masonry/stone drill. So for whatever reason you couldn't find it, _you_ couldn't find something that was beyond obvious. You had the correct name, and from your excellent spelling, I know you spelled it right, so what happened?

If you had performed the search and not skipped every other result, you wouldn't have needed to ask the question and you wouldn't have gotten all of that horrible advice where people were trying to save you some time and wear and tear on your body. If you like the wear and tear on your body, that's just fine, you'll still get advice on how to do _anything_ a simpler, less taxing way. That's called efficiency and the human race has been pursuing that as a goal for the last few million years. Don't blame this newsgroup.

Since you're working on a new pool cover, a few bucks either way obviously wouldn't have killed you. The bottom line is that you do a fine job answering questions on this newsgroup. I've never seen you give bad advice. You've given advice I might not agree with, but you've never given bad advice. However your thread originating post, and the subsequent follow ups were not of the same caliber. Instead of asking a simple question, "Anyone know where I can get a star bit?" you gave some history, mentioned you had no luck Googling, explained exactly what you were doing which didn't work - which everyone else has done at some point until _they_ learned a better way, etc.

Anyhoo, you got the job done, you didn't have to spend money, you took a few lumps and you've learned that it's sometimes harder to ask a question than answer one. I think you've gotten a lot out of this thread and hopefully you won't take away any hard feelings.

RicodJour

Don't know. I'm usually good at Googling. I Google a lot for other people asking questions, in this and other groups, because I have this obsession about helping people. It's probably why I became a police officer and stayed for 38 years. I'll give the answer I find, and the link, without insulting the person asking the question.

I didn't blame anyone. I just asked a simple question. If someone else had asked the same question, I would have answered the question first and then offered alternatives, if I knew of any.

No. I have been called a 'turtle', since insults usually don't get beyond the shell. Like I said, I was a cop for 38 years and learned how to ignore them, otherwise there would have been a lot of dead people in my path.

Thanks for being so understanding, and if you feel you were insulted by any remarks I said, I'm sorry. It was business, not personal. :-) I'm sorry to anyone else who felt that any comments I made may have insulted or demeaned them.

Reply to
willshak

Just to clarify the point that seems to have gone clear over your head. What put the burr under our saddles was your rant about unsolicited advice. Had you ended your post with the 'the job is done using a star drill' - no problem. But then to gratuitously complain about all the unwanted advice was over the top.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Thanks for your opinion. (I hope that didn't sound like an insult)

Reply to
willshak

replying to willshak, rickbrad wrote: Try Trow and Holding Co.I just googled them and found one for $42.00.Just google where to order star drill hand tool and they pop up.Good luck

Reply to
rickbrad