Star drill?

Page 2 of 3
I just deleted the entire thread and suggest others do to.
said

on 10/11/2007 4:25 PM Glenn said the following:

Yes, the problem was solved and there is no need to continue, unless someone wants to add something to it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Also killfiled the troll that started it.
Steve
on 10/11/2007 6:18 PM SteveB said the following:

Ah, you won't read this unless someone else responds to it, but I think you have gone over the edge. Troll, for asking a legitimate question?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

After reading some of the responses I think there may be a misunderstanding. Are you saying that you want to use your 1/2" electric until you hit a piece of aggregate and then use the star drill and sledge to break that up? Then returning to the drill. If that's the plan then I believe that Home Depot has star drill's or any decent sized hardware store should have one. If you have a stone and tile dealer near by I'ld give them a call. Of course renting or buying a hammer drill is another answer. Good luck. Bob
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
on 10/7/2007 8:56 AM The Other Funk said the following:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!! And thanks to all the others who participated. You'll get a Board Game version of our show on the way out of the studio.
And as an aside, I checked at Lowes last night, and in the tool department, there was a Lowes guy. Maybe a little younger than me, probably in his 60s. I asked him if he was the tool guy. He said "Kinda, I just started in this department". I asked him if he knew what a Star Drill was, he looked puzzled and said, "All our drill bits are over here" pointed to a wall display. I said "it isn't a drill per se, but more of a concrete chisel:. He then walked me to the wall display with all the chisels.and said, "Here's all the chisels. If it isn't in this area, we don't have it" and walked away. They didn't have it.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I don't think anybody assumed otherwise or the pointed responses would have been more vociferous. You'll be making a lot of work for yourself and wasting time for no apparent reason. There are better exercises than kneeling over a hole and hitting a chisel with a lump hammer.
I'm curious, Bill - what is the reason that you're ignoring entirely unanimous advice from a group of people that probably wouldn't agree on which way was up? Were you starting with the 3/4" bit or starting with a smaller bit and working your way up in two or three steps?
on 10/7/2007 10:40 AM RicodJour said the following:

First, let me say that I didn't ask for alternatives, I asked a direct question about where I could get a specific product. Although the alternate power tool suggestions were fine, with few helpful answers, the alternatives seem to have dominated the responses. I know about hammer drills and their uses, and I know where to buy or rent one. Buying a hammer drill for this one purpose is out of the question. I may not never again drill holes in concrete, and maybe I can just throw the star drill in a drawer with my other chisels and punches and not have another large, seldom used power tool on a shelf. Renting one for a day is a gamble. What if I can't complete the project in that time frame for some reason? What if I got called away for an emergency, or it started to rain? The rental fee would be more than if I bought a cheap hammer drill from Harbor Freight (see above about buying and storing seldom used tools). If I had asked where to buy a wheelbarrow, I don't want to buy or rent an ATV (Mule), a front end loader, a Bobcat, or anything other than a wheelbarrow. Someone likened my request to an analogy about using a screwdriver as a chisel. I still don't get that one. I suppose that we should all get rid of all hand tools since there is a power tool available that will do the job faster and easier. I've already bored 10 holes with the 1/2" drill and a 3/4" concrete bit, with the help of the steel punch and small sledge hammer. I have 2 on each corner and 2 on each side, and the cover is on using those 10 attachments. The leaves are falling on the cover and are being blown off by the wind. I have plenty of time before the snow starts to finish the other 20 holes. That's my story. I suppose that this threat will continue pointing out the advantages of using a hammer drill, or maybe it will drift off to something about garden spiders. But I now have the information that I need, thanks to the few that answered my question and provided links, so I'll let the others continue without me.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Bill-
People who answered your question with alternatives were trying to give you the benefit of their experience.
I have drilled 100's of holes in concrete over the years. I'm even old enough to have used a star drill (my dad made you use one when a concrete / masonry bit in a regular electric drill wouldn't do the job)
So I was one of the guys who had experience with: electric drill star drill star drill used in conjunction with electric drill battery powered rotary hammer electric rotary hammer (Bosch, Hilti, Milwaukee)
based on this experience I know the method I would use
So after hundreds of holes with all sorts of tools / methods......I see a question from a guy wanting to get a star drill to use in conjunction with an electic drill to drill 40 holes x 3/4" diameter of unspecified depth in concrete of specified thickness & reinforcement.
I think "wow'....he's headed for a lot work with that star drill. I think I give him the benefit of my experience.
Sorry if you didn't like my answer or the similar ones supplied by others.

in that time frame for some reason? What if I got called away for an emergency, or it started to rain? <<<<<
Renting one is not a gamble unless you cannot predict your local weather for a few hours or the rental shop is hours away from the drilling site.
How many holes left at this point? Is it 20 or 30? How much used time to drill the holes already done? How long was the longest continuous session dedicated to this job.?
A decent rotary hammer will drill a 3/4" hole x 2" deep in less than a minute.
One probable result of this thread is that many regular posters have learned now to "just answer your question", in the future.
btw looks like the chance of rain in the next few days is pretty minimal, except for Tues.
also the link to the source for the item came from the "screwdriver analogy" guy.
cheers Bob

Some people don't get it. Never will...
You asked for help, and everyone gave you some. Instead you jumped on us because you didn't like the answers. All the answers were good and viable. If you knew what you were going to do anyway, why ask? After all, Google only returns 1.4 million hits on the topic, and the first ten or so will give all the needed information.
willshak wrote:

I share your disgust. What is the world coming to when people offer polite, helpful and accurate suggestions to someone who appeared to have chosen a bad path to follow?

I guess I can see both sides of this discussion. I know there have been times when someone has asked a simple straightforward question that does have a direct answer and instead got lots of uneeded advice without answering the basic question. In this case, the answer was that HD stocks them. I bought one there earlier this year. In my case, I just had to enlarge an existing a hole a little bit to be able to fit a 1/2 water pipe. It took about 2 mins.
On the other hand, I've used masonry drills, star bits, and hammer drills. And the hammer drill will make holes so much faster and easier that the posters suggesting that being the best solution were only trying to share their experience and make the OP's job easier. When the OP said that one issue with renting a hammer drill would be what if he didn't get all the holes drilled in one day, I had to wonder if he's ever used one. If a hammer drill can't do the holes in a day, IMO, I can't imagine doing the job with a regular drill and star bit with hammer.

Don't know if you found it yet but you can get them from ACE or other hardware stores. There listed under chisels as a star drill. I got a few at home but havent tried them out yet. I didn't see where anyone answered you yet and couldn't tell if you got an answer. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 92223&cp%68443.2568450.2628076.2628237.2629137.1259502&sr=1
good luck
on 10/10/2007 1:08 PM snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com said the following:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 92223&cp%68443.2568450.2628076.2628237.2629137.1259502&sr=1
Thanks. The job is finished. Thanks to some others, I used only the tools I had at home. Nothing spent but my energy.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Not quite. You also spent a lot of other people's energy who were being helpful.
I'm glad that you got the job done, that there were only half as many holes as you thought, that you learned to step up drill bit sizes as you drill larger holes in tougher material if you don't have the right tool, etc. I still don't understand the selective thanks bit. Everyone was trying to be helpful - scratch that - everyone _was_ helpful, you just didn't like what you were reading. Advice is funny like that.
Next time you run across a thread where the OP flat out refuses to listen to advice you know is right, and argues about it, think - that could be me.
on 10/11/2007 9:15 AM RicodJour said the following:

If someone asks for advice, and I have advice to offer, I will offer it, unless someone else has already offered the same advice. If someone is asking where to buy a certain item, and I know where, I will offer locations, unless others have already given the same locations. No sense having a bunch of people repeating the same thing. Especially when it is not the answer to the question asked. A lot of the fault lies with me. I should have sent the message after just asking where to get the tool, rather than continuing on with the purpose of the tool.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yes, a lot of it is your fault. The main one is your rudeness. To ask a question, get what you want and then bitch about other advice that is offered is...well...
Harry K
on 10/11/2007 10:59 AM Harry K said the following:

I wasn't rude to anyone who suggested alternatives. I just didn't answer at all. If that's rude, I'm apparently not the only one. Someone asked why I didn't want to use another suggested tool and I answered the question. Maybe that's bitching, but I call it a direct response to the 'why not' question asked.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
on 10/11/2007 10:23 AM willshak said the following:

BTW, please point out the message(s) where I argued with anyone. I simply ignored the messages that didn't answer my question. Any responses I made were in direct response to a question asked, or an answer to my original question.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Hey, no problem. Any time you need advice, just come to the helpful folks here, then ignore what we say. Hope you really get your ass in a bind next time and ask for advice.
Steve