Stanley Mitre Box

I had a lot of trim to cut and fit for a remodeling project I just finished today. The old maple mitre box was getting a bit worn after 20-30 years so I shopped around for a new one. I found a Stanley, model 20-800, at the Home Depot for about $50. Very impressive looking machine. The saw looks like something you'd find in a surgical suite and it has a couple of clever cam clamps to hold the piece firmly, always a problem with the old maple boxes.
I was very impressed with the machine as it made the job a lot easier. Just thought I'd pass this along for anyone shopping for a mitre box or contemplating a project with a lot of angle cuts.
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Stanley Tools, Home Depot or much of anything, actually.
Paul
On 5/1/2011 9:46 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

Sounds very much like the Stanley miter box I used as a kid (don't remember the model number offhand)- didn't know they still sold high-end manual miter boxes like that any more. I bought a twin to the one from my youth at a garage sale, just as a museum piece. But if I was doing a big job, and/or working for money, no way would I use a manual box- 'good enough' electric miter boxes are pretty cheap these days, only about 3x what you paid for your new one. For a one-off DIY job, I'd even be tempted to use one of the ultra-cheap HF units.
I'm a sucker for old precision-made hand tools, even though I'll probably never use most of the ones I buy here and there. Being a cheap SOB, though, I only buy at garage and estate sales- some of the asking prices on ebay and such are flat-out absurd.
--
aem sends....

I have a high-end elbow-powered miter box, as well (don't think it's a Stanley, though). I don't use it much since I bought one of the "ultra-cheap HF units (10" - $99), which has since been replaced by a 12" Bosch.

I'm a sucker for precision-made power tools. ;-)

Now that Navy Seal Team 6 has some time on their hands perhaps they could go looking for The Ghost In The Machine.

Shouldn't be hard to find; just look in his mom's basement.

Hang out at welfare office. He'll come to you.