Stanley garage door opener setup instruction

This is a Stanley garage door opener chain drive style, 0.5 horsepower. Model UT300 made in 1994.

The problem is when I try to open it, either from the remote or wall unit, it travels open for 1-2 feet and stops, and start ticking (with Di-Da-Di-Da sound in one second interval). This is the same with or without the door engaged.

I have tried the opener without the door engaged or the chain engaged. in both cases got the same results, so the problem is neither the door or the chain or the rail...

I guess the opener is actually fine but there are some procedures to follow when setting up. I don't have the instrution manual as the opener is from previous owner of the house. Could someone kindly point me to the right setup proceudre or maybe email me the right step or the related page?

Reply to
winstonmei

I don't think it is a "set-up" problem since the opener has obviously been there for a while & one would have to assume that it probably did work at one time so it shouldn't need to be set-up again.

For some reason the board thinks the opener is hitting an obstruction on the way open. That is why the opener ticks, which the ticking is the light relay clicking on & off so the light acts as a warning that something is wrong.

There should be an up force adjustment on the board (not to be confused w/ the up limit that controls how far the door opens). Try turning the up force higher to see if that solves the problem. The opener should not be used w/ this at maximum since it can cause damage if the door should get hung up on something while opening.

However, my guess is that the board itself is defective & if that is the case you should consider replacing it. Most Stanley parts are obsolete (your opener is probably one of the last ones made) & extremely difficult to locate.

Doordoc

doordoc

Hi, DoorDoc,

You're right the opener is there for years. This opener worked in the past but not in good working condition, I have to tried several times to have a full open or close. Part of the problem is door not well balanced but now the door problem is fixed (and isolated when adjust the opener)

The only reason that I was concerning the set-up steps is that I do have an instruction manual for Model AT2010, which is more automatically Stanley opener. (My model is UT300).

This manual has instructed the FULL UP position of the door MUST be setup before FULL DOWN position by operating the LEARN UP. In my model, I don't have the same buttons. So that is why I am wondering I may be missing some procedure.

I did adjust the UP FORCE button to MORE FORCE position but it doesn't seem to help. By removing the cover, I can see that when I tried door open, the motor stops BEFORE the limit-control hits the UPPER LIMIT swith (and starts ticking). But when I tried door close, it is fine (the CLOSE LIMIT swith is triggering the motor to stop).

snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net wrote:

Reply to
Winston

Hi, DoorDoc,

You're right the opener is there for years. This opener worked in the past but not in good working condition, I have to tried several times to have a full open or close. Part of the problem is door not well balanced but now the door problem is fixed (and isolated when adjust the opener)

The only reason that I was concerning the set-up steps is that I do have an instruction manual for Model AT2010, which is more automatically Stanley opener. (My model is UT300).

This manual has instructed the FULL UP position of the door MUST be setup before FULL DOWN position by operating the LEARN UP. In my model, I don't have the same buttons. So that is why I am wondering I may be missing some procedure.

I did adjust the UP FORCE butt> I don't think it is a "set-up" problem since the opener has obviously

[...]

replying to doordoc, BRUCE wrote: Mine did the same. The the obstruction sensitivity was set too high.

Reply to
BRUCE