Standing Water at Base of Foundation (Slab)

Lately I have noticed that after a hard rain, I get standing water on one end of my house at the base of the concrete slab foundation. It also saturates the yard (grass) for several feet out from the foundation (the ground is clay).
I have lived here 18 years and this only started this year. What could cause it? Can it cause any harm to the slab?
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:56:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

Do you or your neighbor have a underground leak that will pre-saturate the area?

Yes. The brick and foundation can rot because water dissolves soluble materials like lime and calcium in the block and mortar.
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:07:13 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

I don't think there is a leak. The ground is dry except when we get a heavy rain.

The slab is poured concrete. Does that make a difference? Or is there block and mortor under the slab?
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:56:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net wrote:

I've noticed that my house is settling too. I've had to haul in dirt several times over the last 20 years to keep the drainage going where it should.
Get a shovel and do some landscaping so that water does NOT stand next to your slab.
what about downspout drains? well away from home?
if they led into a drywell it may well be plugged backing the water into the line or a downspout line may be leaking near your home/
try running a garden hose down the lines.........
for a hour at least/
if the downspouts dump at the base of home at least run water away with that flexible corrugated plastic pipe to see if it helps.........
what you have needs serious attention.
if all else fails a underground dug footer drain is in order.