standard sizes for window panes???

I am thinking of making my own replacement windows, replacing the existing single pane windows with double pane ones. If possible i would like the glass to be sealed low "e" glass [preferrably with krypton gas].
is there such an animal ???? mjh
mike hide wrote:

That sounds like a lot of work. I just ripped out a couple of vinyl windows and put in Anderson windows. I had to use new-construction units because that's all Andersen makes. So there was a bit of carpentry to do, but it has to be easier than building your own window!
<< I am thinking of making my own replacement windows, >>
Call some glass shops to find one that repairs double pane windows. They can tell you what sizes are common and you can go from there. Seems to me that this project will be really time consuming, but if you enjoy doing it, go ahead. Some people do their own dental work, so, hey, I'm not going to be critical. Good luck.
Joe

There is no standard sizes on insulated glass windows. They will make any size you want on the 16th of an inch. you also need to know the thickness of the unit. Usually this runs anywhere from 3/8" to 1". getting lowe and argon gas will be easy. Trying to find Krypton might be hard since not a lot of companys are using it yet.
PAUL100 wrote:

Handling the extra thickness will probably by the most challenging portion of making them. You'll have to start w/ 1-3/4 stock rather than 1-1/8 and most window sash cutter sets aren't designed for a rabbet deeper than standard single glaze. This can be compensated for, but will take a little extra initial set up.