Standard size of shut-off valve?

So after the fiasco of having to search for a plumbing supply house that ca= rried a PEX compression fitting in the right size for the hot water shut of= f under the kitchen sink, I should have known better.

But when the hot water shut-off in the downstairs bathroom started leaking,= I went to the Big Box stores (plural) and found none of them carry a shut-= off valve in the size I need. The largest they have for the incoming supply= line is 5/8" diameter, and mine looks to be 3/4".

So, my question: who do I call down vengeance from God upon? My inclination= is to blame the Big Box stores for not carrying a proper selection of shut=

-off valves. Or did the plumber use non-standard sizes when he ran all the = water supply lines when the house was built?

Plumbers, weigh in, please!

Reply to
Kyle

carried a PEX compression fitting in the right size for the hot water shut = off under the kitchen sink, I should have known better.

g, I went to the Big Box stores (plural) and found none of them carry a shu= t-off valve in the size I need. The largest they have for the incoming supp= ly line is 5/8" diameter, and mine looks to be 3/4".

on is to blame the Big Box stores for not carrying a proper selection of sh= ut-off valves. Or did the plumber use non-standard sizes when he ran all th= e water supply lines when the house was built?

Reply to
DD_BobK

carried a PEX compression fitting in the right size for the hot water shut = off under the kitchen sink, I should have known better.

g, I went to the Big Box stores (plural) and found none of them carry a shu= t-off valve in the size I need. The largest they have for the incoming supp= ly line is 5/8" diameter, and mine looks to be 3/4".

on is to blame the Big Box stores for not carrying a proper selection of sh= ut-off valves. Or did the plumber use non-standard sizes when he ran all th= e water supply lines when the house was built?

......looks to be 3/4"?.......

please clarify

Reply to
DD_BobK

What type of tubing are we discussing? Galvanized thread, sweat copper, or?????

.

But when the hot water shut-off in the downstairs bathroom started leaking, I went to the Big Box stores (plural) and found none of them carry a shut-off valve in the size I need. The largest they have for the incoming supply line is 5/8" diameter, and mine looks to be 3/4".

So, my question: who do I call down vengeance from God upon? My inclination is to blame the Big Box stores for not carrying a proper selection of shut-off valves. Or did the plumber use non-standard sizes when he ran all the water supply lines when the house was built?

Plumbers, weigh in, please!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've never seen 3/4" used for any residential faucet feed/shutoff. Always 1/2". Seen some toilets (older houses) use 3/8".

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

He did say: "PEX compression fitting in the right size for the hot water shut off"

Reply to
trader4

that carried a PEX compression fitting in the right size for the hot water

shut off under the kitchen sink, I should have known better.

leaking, I went to the Big Box stores (plural) and found none of them

carry a shut-off valve in the size I need. The largest they have for the

incoming supply line is 5/8" diameter, and mine looks to be 3/4".

inclination is to blame the Big Box stores for not carrying a proper

selection of shut-off valves. Or did the plumber use non-standard sizes

when he ran all the water supply lines when the house was built?

Kyle, good chance to investigate. Things are easier if you don't need it to survive.

Figure out how to open up the case - this may require a set of cheap vandal proof hex tips.

Once you're in there, check the continuity of the cord from the plug in spades to the wire on the inside.

If good, then check continuity through the switch - this will normally be the black wire.

If good, then Check the continuity from the black lead to the far side of the thermal fuse.

If good, then disconnect the wires at the heating element. Ohm the two leads. It should be some number below 50. If it is a huge number, it is probably time to throw the whole thing away.

Reply to
DanG

I've found the answer to my question. It's the plumber who's to blame for t= he problem I have in trying to fix this leaky valve.

After a fruitless quest at two local plumbing supply stores and after going= to the office of the builder who built this house in the mid-90s, I've lea= rned the following: (1) the plumbing in my house isn't PEX, it's polybutelyne. I know, I know, = I've heard about the dangers of polybuteyne pinholing from too much chlorin= e in the water, but the builder assures me that was not Quest polybutelyne,= and they've not had a problem in any of the 400+ houses they've built in t= he area that are run with Quest. (2) the valve is Genova CPVC, and it looks like the downstairs bathroom was= run with CPVC as well. Someone wanna tell me whether it was a bad idea or = not for someone to connect CPVC to polybutelyne? (3) no one within 80 miles sells Genova or even CPVC at all. No way I'm gon= na pay to have the company overnight ship me a replacement valve. (4) the guy at Northeast Plumbing Supply who I thought was giving me a good= work-around using a different compression fitting didn't know enough to re= alize he'd mismatched the threading on the valve and the adaptor he sold me= , and the compression fitting is loose. Drip, drip, drip.

Bottom line: tomorrow a plumber I've worked with on a couple Habitat For Hu= manity projects is coming in to fix this cluster-frell.

Reply to
Kyle

Thanks for the field report. Glad you got it figured out, before the leak got any worse.

Water leaks are like tooth aches. They don't get better on their own, usually.

.

[...]

Dan, are you suggesting I introduce electricity into my sink's supply lines?!?

This was too funny. Sounds like you were answering someone's water heater problem? Hope you got the post to the correct forum and questioner!

Reply to
Kyle