Stand for table saw needed

The thread about the old Sears table saw got me to thinking about mine. I have it on a workbench, but I'd really like to make a table for it. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendations about how to make a good stand for this saw?
Zootal wrote:

old saws. If not, try harbor freight or the online outlets, for a universal one. Unless you WAY overbuild it, wood bases for table saws tend to get wobbly real fast. Maybe you know somebody that welds, and could knock you out one made of angle stock? You definitely want some sort of casters on it, with the tabs to lock them in position.
-- aem sends...
Zootal wrote:

If you happen to be in Seattle, I've got an old sears saw stand you can have.
There are lots of freebie saws on freecycle and craigslist, which is where this came from.

Dang, I'm about 6 hours south...wish I was closer...
Hmm...craigslist...yeah...and I never thought about asking Sears, I'll check out their stand kits.
I have a (Ryobi?) table saw, and it works good, but the stand is lightweight and the body plastic, and when I turn the motor on, the entire unit jumps forward an inch or two. This old sears saw is so heavy, I can't imagine it doing that even with a light duty stand.
Zootal wrote:

The reason I have extra parts is because I wanted a more massive saw. I got 3 freebies, all very similar sears saws, and took the best parts of all. I then took the extra two cast iron tables, and bolted them on either side of the saw table as extensions. I now have a massive large table saw, plus a couple extra motors, for only labor cost.
Lucky I have a big garage.

Not quite the OPs question but here is germ of an idea????? My chop saw is mounted on a plywood shelf which is now the top of a very ordinary cheap and discarded bar-b-q! Got salvage for the metal bar-b-q btw. The two wheels and two fixed legs make it easy to move around but fairly firm when standing still. Also have a heavy cart type bar-b-q base with lockable casters (it was free btw). That might be ideal for a bench type saw! So if the idea has merit look for someone throwing away a substantial large bar-b-q.
terry wrote:

(slaps forehead)- Dang, why didn't I think of that? I have a nice shiny entry-level miter saw I need a standup base for, and the apartments I used to live in (about a mile from here) have barbeques sitting by the dumpsters on move-out day almost every warm month. I lived there 10-12 years, and must have seen 100 of them on my evening walks (which, strangely, just happened to pass all 17 dumpsters...) Guess I'll have to wait till weather gets warm again now.
-- aem sends...
-snip-

Good idea-- and perfect time of year to find a bbq on the curb or craigslist freebies.
This hasn't been tossed around in a few years- so when the OP asked about a saw table I was thinking this was a table saw table-- but it is for a chop saw. [would work for a table saw, I guess, come to think of it.] since you brought up chop saws. . . . http://christophermerrill.net/ww/plans/UTS/Tool_Stand_1.html The Ultimate Tool Stand. "An easy to use space saver with more functions than a Swiss army Knife"
Jim
Robert Neville wrote:

My BIL just gave me one similar ((not adjustable (without a hacksaw))
He also gave me a like new 1/2 horse grinder with a separate stand. So far I put rubber pads on the bottom of the cast iron base, filled in the vertical pipe with concrete, and I'm still working on putting 2 grinders back to back on top with a rotating top so I can use either grinder. (I often switch to a wire brush and/or a polishing wheel) I will be able to loosen a bolt 1/2 turn, swivel it 180 degrees and switch from grinders to wire wheel and polishing cloth in seconds. Right now there is a cheap wrench hanging on the bolt but I want to drill out a bolt head and put in a sliding handle like on a C clamp, just in case it starts to take more than 1/2 a turn.
Robert Neville wrote:

Looked at one of those this afternoon. Only way that is 16 gauge is if they are including the paint, and it is SOFT metal, like those flimsy bolt-together garage shelves that try to look like industrial racking. If I can squeeze a leg of the display model and watch the metal flex, it ain't gonna cut it. It might hold a 500 lb. static load, but anything with moving parts, and it will be flexing like mad. IMHO, of course.
-- aem sends...

I dunno...I don't see the BBQ grill attachment...or a cooler...
On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 11:55:11 -0800, "Zootal"

This may not apply, but it works for my miter saw*. The mounting plate is 20" X 30". What size is the base of the table saw?
_Miter Saw Utility Vehicle_
* http://www.ridgid.com/tools/AC9940-MSUV/index.htm
My 12" miter saw is about fifty pounds or so.
2 cents....
Oren wrote:

I notice they didn't put a price on there, so I googled it. $211 was the first price that came up. Cute, but that is more than I spent on the saw itself. If I was swinging a hammer for a living, it would probably be worth it, for the time and hassle saved. But since I just do stuff around here, I'm afraid inventing or building something will have to do. I keep looking at garage sales for one of those long skinny tables rich people put behind sofas, because their living rooms are too damn big. Failing that, I'll modify some stiff fold-up sawhorses so I can carriage bolt and wingnut them to a couple of nice finished 2x8s that I trashpicked from some old waterbeds, and rig up some sort of quick-release mount for the saw itself. It'll be stiff enough for the hillbilly carpentry I do.
-- aem sends...

A welder who does ornamental metal, and some steel square tubing. I'm going to build a stand for mine, and a router stand. Easy, and reasonably priced. Cheap if you have a MIG welder. Maybe just the excuse you need to go buy one. I saw a Lincoln 135 at the pawn shop the other day for $250. They can build tons of useful stuff, plus repair lots. They are cost effective.
Steve