Stall Shower vs Big Vanity

Page 2 of 2

dgk wrote:

Share :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dgk wrote:

Yep, that would limit your options some. My point though for homes where there is some expansion room, is that if you're trying to remodel a bathroom to make it roomier, and buying new fixtures, flooring, etc. in a lot of cases it may not cost that much more to frame out a small addition or steal space from an oversized living room to add a nice new master bath.
dgk wrote the following:

Why a separate shower and tub? Combine the both if you actually use a tub once in a while. The only use for a tub is to wash the dog after an encounter with a skunk. If you have a small dog, the kitchen sink will work as well, so you don't need a tub at all..
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I mostly used the tub as a place to put the cat litter box but we've moved it into the hallway. I really would like to take a bath now and then. But I can't see taking a bath and not showering afterwards to remove the left over crud.
"dgk" wrote

In a 12x40 tract home, loss of the shower as a separate stall is not a big issue. Loss of the tub (with added shower head) *is*. You have only a sink and toilet in the other one.
I won't even stay more than one night in a hotel, without a tub. Given a choice, based on the space, I'd keep the stall and the tub and SO that the sink can only be (measure, add size) bigger. If SO's desires meet yours, remove stall and put in bigger vanity.
Note almost every reply you got was from guys who take showers almost exclusively. I may as well sometimes, but I want the option and use the tub 2-3 times a week. So does Hubby and daughter.

Is such a hotel common?
Two years ago, when the plane from Newark left two hours late and I missed my connection in London, they put me up, just for daylight hours until the next plane left, in the Heathrow Hilton I think. Because I asked about internet, they put me in a business room, and a) Internet was free in the lobby but cost money in my room, b) there was no bathtub. I'd never heard of such a thing.

You can't put bubble bath in a shower stall. Well, you can, but it's hard to find.

This does seem to be mostly a male dominated newsgroup so some of the lack of warmth towards a tub is understandable and the curve will be appropriatedly adjusted.

Here, let me re-adjust it.
What's the point in having the bathroom be a palace? It's the place where I shit/shower/shave/brush and get out.
When we remodel our lone bathroom, my husband and I want to take out the tub and put in a shower. Of course, we intend to leave the house feet first, so affecting the resale value is not an issue.
Cindy Hamilton
On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 07:07:03 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

Thank you. I agree that a bathroom does not need to be a place although the Significant Other seems to think that it should be. I do tend more towards the practical. When I started asking about the importance of a separate stall shower I wasn't thinking about replacing the tub instead. The tub is practical for many reasons. It's easy to fill the humidifier tank. It's good for washing out the litterbox. And, of course, it is good for soaking aching muscles after shoveling that F***g snow.
Row house, 18' by 40' or so? Then my vote would be, lose the shower and replace it with a stackable front loading washer and dryer. No more trips to the basement to wash clothes.
And, keep the tub/shower. Despite what personal preferences you, me, or others here may have in terms of liking showers, buyers want a tub/shower. No tub/shower (in at least one of the bathrooms) means no sale. Ask any experienced real estate salesperson.

Considering that I used to live in an apartment and had to haul my clothes to a laundry, having to take them to the basement to wash is really not a big deal. If not for that, I'd hardly even see the basement. I do like the idea of having the washer/dryer on the same floor as the dirty and clean clothes, but the SO wants a big vanity.
I am, of course, the one who brings the clothes down and back up, but mostly I don't have to wash them. We've actually put up a clothes line in the backyard and during warmer months I'm the one that gets to hang them up and bring them back when they're dry. I figure it's Green, saves a bit of money, and I really do like the feel and smell of them more when they've been drying in the sunshine.

Why you asking here when you already have your marching orders?
She is right, take out the shower, replace the old tub with a larger tub and multiple-head shower, and definitely put in two sinks. Because a large vanity with only one sink is a waste, whereas a two sink vanity is a "marriage saver" and very good for resale. More people demand a bathroom with two sinks, than demand a bathroom with a stall shower. Especially if the tub is new, big and has a multi-head shower too thats better than a stall.

stall shower. <<<
and you have data to support this claim? cheers Bob

Take it from me, all married women want a double vanity. And after 10 years of marriage the men wish they had a sink of their own too, and a few square inches of space without makeup, lipstick, and other female stuff laying all over the place. Women will take over a sink very quickly. A double vanity is a no-brainer if given the choice of two redundant places to bathe at the expense of the extra sink.
One can always install a shower door on a tub to make a fine 6 foot by 3 foot shower stall, so you have to step over, big deal. And at one tenth the price of making a 6x3 foot stall out of mud and tile.

Rick-
I guess Cindy and my wife didn't get the memo.
Of the several homes I've owned about 1/4 had double sink vanities. Double vanity or not....I never wanted, needed or missed them.
btw I'm in 3x your 10 year number....my condolences wrt "a few square inches of space without makeup, lipstick, and other female stuff laying all over the place. Women will take over a sink very quickly." bummer :(
I enjoy & prefer a tidy space.
Addtionally I have a bathroom that has a double vanity, bathing tub & separate shower stall. The shower stall gets daily use (2x), the tub gets used maybe once a week and the double vanity seldom.
YMMV (as it appear to)
cheers Bob
cheers Bob

Not 100%, since I am the counterexample to that. I want a single vanity, since when I'm in the bathroom, I don't want any company.

I put everything away when I'm done with it. (I don't wear makeup. Ever.) Actually, I line up everything in the order that I use it, and put it away when I've used it. That way, I don't forget any steps.
Wish I could get my husband to do the same; his crap (mainly medicine) is always out on the vanity top. Still, it's a small price to pay. He's a great guy.
Cindy Hamilton