stair treads: converting from carpet to something else

Stairs to my finish basement are covered with nasty carpet. I'd like to get rid of the carpet and use something else-- maybe just rubber treads over painted wood.
I took a peak by pulling the bottom, and the current carpet is only stapled down hence removal will be easy.
Unfortunately it looks like somebody used carpet adhesive at some point as their is lots of black foam stuck to the wood stair and risers.
Assuming I'm able to scrape it off, I'm looking for ideas on what to do. I was possibly thinking about covering the stairs with wood laminate or vinyl flooring, and then using some rubber grips. Or I was considering just painting the stairs and putting bigger rubber treads.
Ideas appreciated. Definitely looking for something DIY.
Thanks, Mike
Home Depot sells those 1.25" x 11.5" x 48" treads that looks pretty easy to install. Pines cost $11 each and Oak cost $27. Anyone tried that?
One thing I am not sure is how one can fix the 1st and last step so that all the risers are of the same hight (+/- 3/8" per code).