Stair tread replacement

If you do that, please take a well-lit photo of the opened-up step, and post a link back here. At this point, I'm curious what the actual internal construction of the stairs is. I still suspect what you are calling a stringer is just a trim board, and what somebody else called skirting. But if there is no center stringer, I suppose this could be a factory-made prefab staircase or something, and have dado'd stringers. You say the step feels springy in the center, at least with the detached part of the tread. If you tap the center part of the riser, does it ring hollow or solid? A tiny hole drilled in the center of the riser would tell you in seconds if there is a center stringer or not. What year was the house built? How wide are the stairs?

Also, please use your real camera for the pictures. If it is 10 megapixel, there will be a menu to turn the resolution down, or you can do it in your computer as you post it. The better lens and flash compared to a cell phone will make a much better picture.

This long-distance pro-bono consulting is frustrating at times. I'm no expert, but I know if I could see it in person, I could figure it out in a few minutes. The actual experts on here could do it even quicker. A sharp ice pick and thin putty knife, and a hammer, would quickly answer a lot of questions about what is part of what, and how it all fits together.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'd go with the drill, glue, and screw as others mentioned. If you want to clamp it before installing the screw (I would), wedge a 2x4 between the edge of the tread and the wall opposite (cut to length). If the opposite wall is sheet rock or plaster, first use a 2x4 across 2 studs so it doesn't poke a hole in the wall.

Reply to
Tony

Almost certainly that is _NOT_ a stringer; it's a skirtboard and isn't anything but cosmetic.

Take it off ...

:) I told ya' I done this before...

Precisely altho you almost certainly don't need to tear much of it up or out; particularly if you're going to paint all that is needed is an access.

I'd still first make sure that it isn't pretty much a no-brainer to remove the skirtboard(s), raise the tread, take it to the jointer and renew the jointing surfaces and reglue then put it back.

At worst you make a new skirt but given the shape the one is in w/ the dings and all, that's no loss.

--

Reply to
dpb

"Bernie Hunt" wrote

Can you get us a pic of that too then? Hey, the camera might not be perfect but it works well enough and it's what you have. Perhaps we'll have some workable ideas for you but have to see the post and railing.

I liked the idea of the riser access too but only if you are real sure there isnt a support member behind it. Then again, I figured you had to remove a stair tred anyways, so the riser access might be more work?

Tap carefully with a hammer (rubber mallet works better) all along the tops of several stairs (healthy ones as well as bad ones) from left to right. If there's a fairly consistant sound difference at some spot, usually middle, then you have a 3rd structural stringer that you couldnt see because of the plaster underside. There's good reason for it too as it's underside makes the lath frame the plaster may have been attached to. It may *not* be in the center. Say they had a bunch of that lath frame wood in scrappy form that was 2 ft long (left over from some other part of building the house). Stairwell looks like it's abut 3. Might be you find a 3rd support stringer

2ft from one side and about a foot on the other. Harmless and easy to tap along several steps to see if you can tell something is there before you open anything up.

I wish I had a picture to show you of what the underside might be since it's plastered. Generally the frame that was plastered has a support frame with I think it's no more than 18 inches. Similar to studs in a wall then cross pieces you plastered. Methods varied with age of house. wikipedeia look for lath and plaster.

Reply to
cshenk

Bernie Hunt wrote: ...

OK, I let it load the images. Even w/ magnification it really doesn't look to me like either end of the tread is housed.

Since the stairs are enclosed on both ends, how could they be unless those are skirtboards installed after the treads were already laid or, if housed into the stringers they treads had to have been inserted from the rear before the ceiling below was finished.

Have you unequivocally proven they really _are_ housed?

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't think they are either, in this case. but staircases like that do exist. Factory made prefabs, sold ready to drop into place. Usually not pretty stairs for upstairs use, but not uncommon in low end houses for basement stairs. Quite common in modulars that are flown in over a basement.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote: ...

That's clearly not prefab.

--

Reply to
dpb

"Bernie Hunt" wrote

Hi Bernie, I imagine it's done now? Curious how it went.

Reply to
cshenk