Stair railing estimates

Hi,

I have an estimate to get my stair railing replaced. I asked for something simple in design: square balusters and standard curved hand rail all oak.

This is for a split level ranch entry so total around 12 feet of railing with balusters. This is the upstairs portion and the small middle section in between the two stair cases. The portion going downstairs has no balusters, just the rail (another 6ft).

What is reasonable range in price for parts and labor?

Thanks

Reply to
quanius

It will depend on how much of it can be bought 'off the shelf' and how much will have to special made, what the local trades charge, etc.

Asking here is pointless. Get three estimates from your local area and go with whatever looks best to you.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Inside New York City or San Francisco?

Missoula, Montana?

Its not possible to give you any estimate without a hint of a location because materials prices and labor costs are different everywhere,

Even with a hint as to location, any estimate you get on his newsgroup will be a wild assed guess.

Without seeing the location there is no way to get a reliable ball park guesstimate.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Hey now! They might be wild assed guesses, but they're _educated_ wild assed guess. ;)

RicodJour

SNIP HAPPENS

A little education is a dangerous thing.

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

Between $300 and $4500. Anything over $4500 is price gouging.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would hesitate to answer unless I knew what material and how far this thing is going - 3 risers or 20? with a wrap around porch?

Cable systems, glass, steel? Will this need to pass the 4" ball rule?

Reply to
DanG

Thanks for the responses. I will try to add more information to address the comments brought up.

-This is in the Southern NH area.

-Everything is going to be Oak and are stock items, nothing custom.

-I am having difficulty getting estimates. Only one guy called me back which is why I am on here asked for some neutral opinions.

To recap my original description:

-Standard split entry ranch style house form the late 70's

-Front door entry you can go upstairs or downstairs (approx 7 steps up on left side and 7 down on right)

-In the middle there is a rail that will need balusters and a post (I believe this is called a newel?) at the bottom.

-On the left there is a protective rail to keep people in the living room from falling down onto the stairs. I estimate that run of railing to be 10 feet with balusters that connect to the same wall as the entrance. At the other end of the run would be a post (newel). In addition to the wall the flooring which this would attach to is hardwood oak.

-On the right there will be a railing going down stairs with no balusters.

Hopefully this paints a more clear picture. I appreciate your feedback.

Reply to
ryan.j.albert

Also to reiterate.. This is only for the railing, balusters and posts.. I am keeping the oak stair treads

Thanks,

Reply to
quanius

Monadnock region?

This is basically what my house is, withut the center piece (we have a stub wall capped with an oak board and trim).

One thing that is an issue iw tha the part to keep people in the Living Room from falling into the stairwell needs to be strong enough to withstand some force. This can be an issue if the builder doesn't know how to properly build or anchor it.

If Monadnock, let me know, I may be able to recommend someone.

Reply to
PeterD

Why wouldnt it? Mark

Reply to