Stair rail - which side?

I'm finaly getting around to putting a rail up the stairs to the second floor I added to my home several years ago. Question is, which side is the standard for a rail? I seem to recall seeing then on either side, however for my application I think having it on the left side as you go up makes better sense.
Any rules on this?
Thanks!
Mark
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:56:29 GMT, "mwlogs"

No rules, but I've seen it more on the right side. Install rails on both sides for added safety.
mwlogs wrote:

Regulations are likely to be local. You will need to contact the local authorities.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Both sides are better and safer too.
Both sides are better and safer too.
Handicap compliance to the ADA: "Hand railing must be securely anchored, have a smooth surface and easy to grasp, 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 inches in diameter Mounted between 34 and 38 inches high. Handrails projecting from a wall must have a space of 1-1/2 inches between the wall and the handrail. The railing ends rounded off, returned to the wall or terminate at the posts." http://www.adaptiveaccess.com/grabbar_handrail.php
more at: http://www.access-by-design.com/basicdim.htm

There are no standard rules. Local codes may apply.
It is suggested on the right hand side as you go down the stairs. I read that somewhere in a Government standard but can not site the source. The ADA info in another post was also a part of the post I read.

In my house there is a split entry. The upper half has the rail on the left going down as it is not practical to have in on the right. The lower half has it on the right.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

walled on both sides, so the wall-mount rail is usually same side as the banister rail. Stairwells in public buildings are almost always railed on both sides. Make the rails removable if getting furniture up and down is a problem.
aem sends...
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:56:29 GMT, "mwlogs"

Rules, as of 1999 BOCA: If the stairway is otherwise normal, and this is a single-family dwelling, not subject to special local codes or ADA requirements, then no, there is no regulation as to which side it should go on.
Opinion: From a useability standpoint, its better if you can make the stairway handrail continuous with the bannister at the top, where there is one, but traffic patterns may militate against that. The idea is that, when you're starting down the stairs, you should get to the railing before you get to the steps. (Which means that, if you can approach the stair from both sides of the upper landing, you need two railings)
--Goedjn
On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:56:29 GMT, "mwlogs"

the stairs, especially if they are carpeted.
Thanks to all for responding. I don't think I need to go both sides at this point. The walls do go all the way from the 1st floor to the second. with the wall on the rigtht side as you go up ending as a 1/2 wall between the stairs and the room at the top. For this reason, difficult to describem I think I'm going on the left side with the rail. That puts it in our right hand as we go down, more natural for us since we are both right handed.