Stair accidents and how to avoid them and lessen their impact

Page 2 of 2

Those are some pretty cool ideas. Since my friend said it took him close to three years to get his dad to wear "that stupid thingamagig" (pendant) hopes are not high for getting him to wear a "StaPuff Marshmellow Suit." (-: My friend said that even though this his is third serious fall, his dad still does not think of himself as "fall prone."
The horseback suit sounds really interesting and, AFAIK, fulfills a real need. The actor who accident. I've seen a horrific film of a horseback accident in slow motion once. It still freaks me to remember seeing someone with their head at an angle unknown among the living. The actor that played Superman, Christopher Reeves, ended up paralyzed from the neck down in a horse riding accident. Every time I watch America's Funniest Home Videos I cringe because so many of the films they send in are so similar to evidentiary films submitted in wrongful death suits. Some of those "cute" old people fall down and kids skateboarding off railings films could have been tragedies except for an inch or two one way or another. Who would have thought an adult could get paralyzed from playing with a slip and slide (or that the family would have film of it)?
People riding horses very often land head first with lots of momentum in their bodies that can snap the spine near the neck, causing instant death or severe paralysis. I'd put lots of velcro on the saddle and my butt if I were still riding. (-: There's just not a lot of protection when riding a horse. I'm glad to know that someone's tried to tackle the problem.
Thanks for your input!
-- Bobby G.

<stuff snipped>

No cats involved but I'm thinking weight sensors on the upper steps could determine whether a human or a pet were traversing the stairs. Also, "beam" sensors at say 3' high would have to be interrupted in order for the system to deploy. The sensor part doesn't bother me as much as the "what to do to interrupt a falling human being without making things worse" part. From the recent seat belt discussion, it's clear that not all safety features are as safe as they could be.
-- Bobby G.
On Tue, 13 Sep 2011 14:00:37 -0400, "Robert Green"

Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous. When they finish them, they are experienced enough to handle any steps.