Stainless steel spec

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel? Thanks, Paul MR
On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:54:47p, Paul MR told us...

Both 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel are good quality and have a high resistance to corrosion and staining. 18/10 stainless steel has a higher percentage of nickel which one might notice as a slightly richer color. IMO, both perform well, and I doubt that one really outperforms the other.
--
Wayne Boatwright

On 8/24/2008 11:37 PM Wayne Boatwright spake thus:

The 18 refers to the percentage of chromium and the other number the percentage of nickel. They're equally corrosion-resistant (the chromium is what gives it its resistance). The amount of nickel mainly affects the working properties of the metal (and also its appearance as noted above).
--
"In 1964 Barry Goldwater declared: \'Elect me president, and I
Wayne Boatwright wrote:

I absolutely agree with you, Wayne.
--
Dave
On Mon 25 Aug 2008 01:12:10a, Dave Bugg told us...

Thanks, Dave.
--
Wayne Boatwright

18/8 and 18/10 are common for kitchen use. What is more important is the construction, the thickness, the depth of the sink. If you look up Franke they are one of the best but also one of the most expensive.Just don't get the cheap Home Depot special on sale.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I like el-cheapo sale products. Just bought a nice sink and vanity for $49.00
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Franke is 18/10. http://www.frankeksd.com/sinks.php?cat=1&node  It is not just the percentages, it is the gauge, the methods of construction, the finish. It is the difference in how they hold up over the years too.
But for both sink and vanity for $49, you did well. Enjoy it. I hope they gave you a free faucet too.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

15 years ago and never installed in a junk box . It fit very nicely.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

Blattus Slafaly wrote:

In this case it's more the guage, or thickness, of the steel, not the content. A lot of cheap SS sinks will be 22 guage, or even thinner. You want 18 to 20 guage which also has a nice sound deadening applied.
--
Dave
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

But some folks might appreciate that steel-drum island sound.
--
Dave

Stainless shows fingerprints, someone I know with a complete kitchen hates having to everyday wipe down doors from handprints
When I did my kitchen I bought a Blanco "D" shaped SS 10" deep sink at Home Expo ( design center for Home Depot). It was pricey ( I think $450) but it is well constructed. I can't remember the specs offhand.
On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:26:22a, Mikepier told us...

Most Blanco sinks are 18/10 stainless steel, except for the "economy" line which is 18/8. All are of good quality.
--
Wayne Boatwright

I would be more concerned about the depth of the sink (generally deeper is better) and its thickness. Heavier will be better. It will be quieter. Also consider a sound reduction coating. It goes on the outside and many sinks come with it. It looks like and works much like an automobile undercoating.
On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:36:37a, told us...

Yes, as long as the composition is either 18/8 or 18/10 there's no problem with the quality of the steel. 16 or 18 guage should be adequate for most sinks. Better ones do have a sound reduction coating, but not always. If you find a sink you like without the coating, you can apply a coating yourself.
--
Wayne Boatwright

snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com wrote:

18/8 is close to 316 stainless. It's a good alloy for most home and boating applications. Just make sure it's thick enough that it doesn't dent.
Also, get a can of Bar Keepers Friend at you local grocery store and it will stay sharp.

for that application its all samo samo...for industrial process applications alloy composition is critical. but for sinks they will all be pretty much the same... cheapest, non staining alloy.
Phil scott
Paul MR wrote:

Thanks to all who responded. Paul MR

Ignore the alloy. Buy the heaviest gage you can find. Kohler is exceptionally good in that respect (at a price). Cheaper sinks allow the faucet set to wobble on the base when installed because the metal isn't stiff enough. HTH
Jpe,