Stainless steel spec

Shopping for a stainless steel sink for the kitchen. I know nothing about the specification "18/8 chrome/nickel content." Is this a good number? Does it imply this steel is more stainless than other steel? Thanks, Paul MR

Reply to
Paul MR

On Sun 24 Aug 2008 09:54:47p, Paul MR told us...

Both 18/8 and 18/10 stainless steel are good quality and have a high resistance to corrosion and staining. 18/10 stainless steel has a higher percentage of nickel which one might notice as a slightly richer color. IMO, both perform well, and I doubt that one really outperforms the other.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On 8/24/2008 11:37 PM Wayne Boatwright spake thus:

The 18 refers to the percentage of chromium and the other number the percentage of nickel. They're equally corrosion-resistant (the chromium is what gives it its resistance). The amount of nickel mainly affects the working properties of the metal (and also its appearance as noted above).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I absolutely agree with you, Wayne.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

18/8 and 18/10 are common for kitchen use. What is more important is the construction, the thickness, the depth of the sink. If you look up Franke they are one of the best but also one of the most expensive.Just don't get the cheap Home Depot special on sale.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 01:12:10a, Dave Bugg told us...

Thanks, Dave.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Why, what's the percentage on it? Is it 18/8 or 18/10 or something else? I like el-cheapo sale products. Just bought a nice sink and vanity for $49.00

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Stainless shows fingerprints, someone I know with a complete kitchen hates having to everyday wipe down doors from handprints

Reply to
ransley

When I did my kitchen I bought a Blanco "D" shaped SS 10" deep sink at Home Expo ( design center for Home Depot). It was pricey ( I think $450) but it is well constructed. I can't remember the specs offhand.

Reply to
Mikepier

I would be more concerned about the depth of the sink (generally deeper is better) and its thickness. Heavier will be better. It will be quieter. Also consider a sound reduction coating. It goes on the outside and many sinks come with it. It looks like and works much like an automobile undercoating.

Reply to
jmeehan

Franke is 18/10.

is not just the percentages, it is the gauge, the methods of construction, the finish. It is the difference in how they hold up over the years too.

But for both sink and vanity for $49, you did well. Enjoy it. I hope they gave you a free faucet too.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:26:22a, Mikepier told us...

Most Blanco sinks are 18/10 stainless steel, except for the "economy" line which is 18/8. All are of good quality.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 06:36:37a, told us...

Yes, as long as the composition is either 18/8 or 18/10 there's no problem with the quality of the steel. 16 or 18 guage should be adequate for most sinks. Better ones do have a sound reduction coating, but not always. If you find a sink you like without the coating, you can apply a coating yourself.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

for that application its all samo samo...for industrial process applications alloy composition is critical. but for sinks they will all be pretty much the same... cheapest, non staining alloy.

Phil scott

Reply to
phil scott

No free faucet but I had a brand new bathroom faucet I bought a bought

15 years ago and never installed in a junk box . It fit very nicely.
Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Thanks to all who responded. Paul MR

Reply to
Paul MR

But some folks might appreciate that steel-drum island sound.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

In this case it's more the guage, or thickness, of the steel, not the content. A lot of cheap SS sinks will be 22 guage, or even thinner. You want

18 to 20 guage which also has a nice sound deadening applied.
Reply to
Dave Bugg

18/8 is close to 316 stainless. It's a good alloy for most home and boating applications. Just make sure it's thick enough that it doesn't dent.

Also, get a can of Bar Keepers Friend at you local grocery store and it will stay sharp.

Reply to
Boden

Ignore the alloy. Buy the heaviest gage you can find. Kohler is exceptionally good in that respect (at a price). Cheaper sinks allow the faucet set to wobble on the base when installed because the metal isn't stiff enough. HTH

Jpe,

Reply to
Joe