Stainless Steel Lav sinks?

Hi All,

I am in the planning phase of replacing one of my bathroom sinks. I want to go with stainless steel due to chemical sensitivities in the family.

This bathroom sink looks perfect:

Except that is really, really E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E !!!

I don't have to have the absolute best. Good will do. Anyone know of a good quality stainless steel lav sink that won't break the budget? USA made preferred.

Many thanks,

-T

Sorry, my guess is the low volume is going to be an issue for you. That drives prices. Not sure why a true porcelain sink in a true solid surface would be an issue for you related to chemical sensitivities.

Reply to
lawrence.jamesnc

Terry Coombs

Porcelain sink are too heavy for me too put in and they are way too fragile as in chipping and cracking when hard things drop on them. They are better looking than stainless but at this point I want it to last till I die (~ 30 years)

Huh! Thank you. I wonder if they have a three hole model. Lately, home depot's quality has been flaky. Do you have any experience with their sinks?

Cheapest 3 hole SS at Lowes $260

Retired

+1
Reply to
trader_4

It's just a bathroom sink, not a kitchen sink or bathtub. And it doesn't have to be a cast iron porcelain sink, they make less expensive, lighter ones out of some kind of lighter metal, eg Americast from American Standard.

Reply to
trader_4

Thank you!

Would need a oval. I am on their web page. They have 56 pages of sinks. This is going to take a while!

No , but I just a week or so ago picked up a Kohler CI/enamel extra deep double bowl kitchen sink at Lowes . Pricing is competetive with HD , products are the same quality . Name brand is a name brand no matter where you buy it ... but a national chain is going to be cheaper just because of the quantities they buy .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Nope

Ed Pawlowski

Rats! No three holers. Thank anyway.

Check the "also viewed" items too...

dadiOH

I can't believe that. I have a porcelain sink with a small counter surrounding it and it's not hard to lift with one hand. I have another new one in a box that is only hard to lift because the box is bulky. When it's out, it will be easy. Both of these are porcelain on steel sheet, not cast iron. Cast iron, if they ever used that for sinks, probably, not just tubs, is heavy.

How often do you drop hard things in them? How many heavy things are there in the bathroom anyhow? I've dropped a fairly heavy, as brushes go, quite hard, hair brush and it has no effect on the sink.

Two of my 3 bathroom sinks are 37 years old and they're good as new. I'm sure they will last another 30 years, and these are probably cheap ones, installed by the original builder. One of them does have some damage in it, I think because I left a wet washcloth or something sitting in it, staying wet for days or weeks. That's why I have the other sinks. The one with the counter is just as old and it's in perfect condition.

As to chemicals, do you know for sure porcelain is a problem? Or is it just a suspicion. I thought porcelain was the remedy for places that had to be sanitary. There are other things just as good now, but I don't think porcelain has been demoted. But I'd leave it outside, out of the box it comes in, for a week to let any vapors dissipate.

Reply to
Micky

Deodorant stones can make a real dent. Things get dropped in the sink about once a week.

I am mixing my dislike for cast iron with porcelain. I rejected porcelain as it is fragile, not the odor (my toilets are porcelain). Cast iron is heavy, cracks and rusts.

There are millions of them! But no three holers. Rats! Thank you anyway.

+1

I said that in one of the first replies. That steel you're talking about is like Americast from American Standard. IDK what exactly it is, but it's a metal that they put the porcelain on and it weighs a lot less than cast iron. Cast iron is still readily available, it just costs more and is heavier.

I put in a new porcelain cast iron sink in the kitchen about 5 years ago. No chips. It does have some very fine scratches, but still looks great.

It's up to him what he wants or doesn't want. But I would not rule out porcelain because a bathroom sink can't be lifted by one person. That's just not true. Chemical thing, the porcelain part is about as neutral as glass. The backside probably has paint and/or some sound deadening stuff on it, so that might be a consideration.

Reply to
trader_4

How do you have cast iron without there being porcelain on it?

Reply to
trader_4

So the hole for the sink is too, right? Which means you need to find a sink that matches that hole, not always an easy task. Assuming you can, just use the existing faucet holes, you don't have to have them in the new sink if the old sink rim was wide enough. Push comes to shove, just make a new vanity top.

Reply to
dadiOH

Man my writing must suck lately.

This is a replacement sink. The new one has to match the hole in the counter top.

I hate the current faucet.

New counter top. Hmmmmmmm. That would open a lot of possibilities.

Thank you