Stainless Steel Appliances are a curse

My Whirlpool fingerprint resistant SS fridge is magnetic, the Kohler sink and custom made counter/backsplash isn't. It might be noted that 304 will show surface rust. 316 won't

Reply to
Greg

[snip]

Fair enough. I just know that magnets stick to my SS sink. If this is a "grade" issue why would appliance makers opt for the type that is non-magnetic? Are there advantages to that type that benefit an appliance?

Well, Rick,

I am not sure about the whys and why nots, but more than likely it will boil down to cost or... since the ferritic SS have more iron properties and the refrigerator my be subjected to humidity, so it doesn't rust.. Before you tell me stainless doesn't rust, try google and search to see. It does. Now each grade will oxidize differently. Even Aluminum oxidizes. The fastest metal I have seen oxidize is Sodium. You slice a bar of Sodium with your pocket knife and you can watch a haze form immediatly. Of course you then have to throw the oxidized piece away into a bucket of water... Wear your safety glasses and watch it blow up...pretty cool. ReRe

Reply to
chillermfg

Are you certain it is SS? I have Clean Steel Range, Fridge. SS Microwave / Range Hood. And soon to purchase Clean Steel Dishwasher. I tell you what, the microwave shows every damn smudge, fingerprint..everything. I don't even have to tough it, just get close, and fingerprints show up. The stove and fridge I have only wiped down once since May and that was only because it seemed like it needed it. It didn't have any appearance of dirt or smudges. Now the glass cooking surface of the stove is a different story. Very easy to clean, but must be done very often. Perhaps if you do have the SS Fridge, it has been coated with something to maintain cleanliness and some sort of magnetizer. Like I said, mine is the clean steel...is magnetic....and looks identical to the stainless.

ReRe

Reply to
chillermfg