STAINLESS STEEL ?

I've always thought that stainless steel was impervious to corrosion.
Recently, I was gifted with an engraved "hip flask". On the bottom, stamped "Stainless Steel" right next to the "Made in China " imprint.
The enclosed papers warn; "DO NOT store any liquids in this container for more than four days ! After that, drain, and rinse."
What aren't they telling me ?
I don't intend to work thru a flask of brandy every four days......
Stainless steel ??

Hi RJ.... yes propably SS but a lower GRADE of SS that's why it will corrode.... A Lot of stainless BBQ have hit the markert out there and people are finding that they rust also... again...poor GRADE of stainless... The better business bureau or who ever makes up the rules for selling stuff like that should be made to stamp the grade of stainless you are buying... Jim

On 3/20/2010 1:43 PM, <RJ> wrote:

impervious to corrosion but all have varying degrees of resistance. Warning is probably general and I cannot imagine that brandy would corrode the steel. Very acidic liquids, e.g. cola drinks, would be most corrosive. Think I'd prefer to keep my brandy in a glass bottle.

I would not store booze in anything other than unleaded glass. I would be especially cautious about drinking ANYTHING that had been stored even briefly in a metal container of dubious origin. There is no way for you to know what "extras" are in the alloy that might leach out.
There are nice glass flasks with engraved metal sleeves over them.
<RJ> wrote:

No real difference other than it isn't so much "grade" of SS as it is the particular alloy--there are a zillion recognized/numbered-lettered SS alloys and an infinite number of possibilities beyond that for ad hoc formulations.
All the "SS" designation alone really indicates is some minimal Ni/Cr content.

The problem is more to do with hygene. The bugs will be breeding, especially in sugary solutions.

I think the amount of chrome is the quality factor of SS that keeps it from rusting, the chinese use all sorts of poisonous metals, since its chinese id say dont drink out of it, 2, it says warning, it probably came from a decomissioned reactor knowing the poisons chinese have been peddling as safe and pure, they dont care, they poison their own for a extra buck. Dump it out
ransley wrote:

Sounds like a great container to keep spare BBs in...
--
aem sends...

Google is your friend. Google stainless steel corrosion and learn more in ten minutes than you will find here in a year. And the good thing is that that it will be factual and true.
Steve

If you can't drink a flask of brandy in four days, you're an amateur.
But seriously.
Dairy products have a restriction that ALL their piping and anything that comes in contact with milk has to be a certain metallurgical designation, I think 304, but I could be wrong.
Anything made is subject to corrosion, even pure gold. There's something that can dissolve it.
Club Aluminum cookware was the rage in the sixties and seventies. But if you left a pot of spaghetti sauce in it, the acetic tomato sauce would chew on the aluminum. Same thing with MagnaLite cookware, a magnesium alloy with aluminum.
When in doubt, RTFM.
Steve
Beside what other said SS does not like chlorides (javex).
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?articleid 77

And then there's the solder used to join the top and bottom to the sides. Mine was marked the same way, but explicitely listed the solder.

Probably lead. I'd buy a test kit. OR just wait and see if you die.
Steve
<RJ> wrote:

It is said that stainless steel can leach nickel (into your brandy). It is also said that is bullshit. Sounds like they are protecting themselves with the warning for some reason.