Stainles steel fridge door. Do fridge magnets attach?

Viewing the collection of 'stuff' on the door of our 30 year old white enamelled kitchen fridge wondering if, when it ultimately needs replacement, do fridge magnets attach to stainless?

Not particularly enamoured of stainless, but just curious. Also, around here anyway, one can always find cheap white appliances, sometimes even for 'free', from renovations etc. for the trouble of taking them away and/or minor repair.

But; that absolutely basic Sears Kenmore, with freezer section at top, has given excellent, really excellent, service. We brought it home plugged it in all those years ago and it' been working ever since.

Only had one to do one out of service repair (the defrost timer) in all the years owned; that have included running a small catering company which required loading and overloading the fridge at times with items such as oversized turkeys etc. The only other work done on it has been to replace a cracked off shelf with one made of plywood (those 26 pound turkeys you know!), rip out some corroded wiring in the bottom right hand corner of the main compartment, leading to to a completely useless door mounted 'Butter keeper' and also take it out to a local auto-body repairer, be resprayed white, from it it's orginal 'Harvest Gold' (that'll tell you j how old it is!) some 20+ years ago. Also will just mention that respraying white to match the stove etc. was the idea of my late wife.

Reply to
terry

Many stainless fridge doors are just a stainless skin over regular sheetmetal, so magnet still stick. When you go shopping, just take a refrigerator magnet with you to try on the units you are considering, if that is important to you.

Reply to
salty

Thanks for the info; had wondered if the stainless just a decorative layer over something more substantial. Any likelihood of condensation on the steel inner layer; or maybe they are glued together for rigidity? terry

Reply to
terry

terry wrote in news:760a7fc6-9bd6-4ea3-98bb- snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:

Chances are the stainless itself will be magnetic. Many stainless grades are magnetic.

Reply to
Tegger

They don't stick to the door on our Electrolux. They do stick to the side, however.

SWMBO demanded stainless, so the two-year-old, black, contractor's model went.

Reply to
keith

Most stainless steel kitchen appliances will attract a magnet whether there is steel behind it or not, only the more expensive grades of stainless steel will not. Less expensive grades will attract a magnet.

Reply to
Tony

It depends on the GRADE of the stainless. I have some old whirlpool stainless fridge doors I cut up for the metal. They are not laminated, they are just on the "304" end of stainless( harder) . When you get up around the 316 end they are shinier, not as scratch resistant and will not hold a magnet. As a reference, boat props are usually on the 304 end.

Reply to
gfretwell

I imagine these details differ from brand to brand and model to model.

Reply to
salty

GE Profile SS will not on the front, just the sides.

Reply to
Joe J

"terry" wrote

Some stick, some won't so take a magnet with you. Some are not even metal, but a SS look alike.

The older basic models wee usually very dependable. When you do replace it, watch the electric bill drop. I got rid on an old 12 cu ft fridge, replaced it with a low end 18 cu. ft. frost free and had a $10 a month drop in the bill. It is a second fridge and paid for itself.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I replaced a 25 year old fridge last year. Prior to doing so, I used a Killowatt meter to record the power usage. It went from $180/yr to $95. Also agree with what has been said about the stainless doors. On the Kitchenaid a magnet will not stick to the doors.

Reply to
trader4

Replaced due to malfunction, or just age? How much did the new fridge cost? (just curious as to how long it needs to last at that sort of power saving to pay for itself)

Reply to
Jules Richardson