Staining veneer interior doors

I've bought two unfinished oak veneer interior doors (Jeld-Wen). Neither stained well; splotches around the rail/stile glue lines with some extending out over the face.
Is there something to clean these doors with prior to staining? I don't want to sand the veneer too vigorously.
I had a problem with a fiberglass door.
I took off as much stain as I could with brush cleaner and then restained with a gel stain by Old Masters. Looked great when redone.
The minwax gel stain made a mess for me.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 20:16:01 -0500, "Art"

I've never used a gel stain. Is there a special technique for these?
I'm using Varathane woodstain, brush on and wipe with clean cloth (two coats), then three coats of Varathane water based poly

Sand with 220 grit. The apply a pre-stain conditioner or mineral spirits to avoid splotches.

I think it's glue. So the mineral spirits are probably a good idea.
And what is a pre-stain conditioner? What would I look for in the store?
And do either affect my choice of stains?