Staining outside windows over paint

Hi everyone. My brother and I have inherited my parents' house. We need to paint the outside windows. My brother heard that a colored stain wouldn't peel and flake the way paint does. We have paint on the windows now, and we have scraped the flaking paint. Has anyone tried staining (the solid type stains) over paint and did it wear well? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with experience with paint or stains.
Helene
Thanks for your advice. What you're saying is what I was worried about. I think now that we have used paint once, we're going to have to stick with paint.
Helene

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:07:55 GMT, "Helene G."

    Paint won't peel and flake if good paint is applied correctly. Done right, a good paint job will last as long as 15 years.
    The usual problems that cause peeling and flaking are lack of proper primer, oil paint rather than latex, poor quality paint, paint applied to wet surface, paint applied so that water can soak into wood behind it.
    Fix these problems and you won't have to paint for a long time and have better protection than stain will give.
        Good luck,
            Peter

Thanks a lot. We'll try to do this right because we don't want to be doing this again right away.
Helene