Staining on granite countertop

I tried to clean a water mark on my blaqck granite countertop using a Zap! spray restorer product that I had used without any problem in the past. The watermark is now gone but the counter now has a whitish speckled appearance in a saucer-sized area. It doesn't come off and appears to be under the surface. Does anyone have any idea how I can restore this mess?
JA wrote:

Follow this link to a discussion on a stone forum:
http://www.stonepowerhouse.com/phorum3/viewtopic.php?t 91&highlight=water+marks+black+granite+etch