Staining interior door, Should the hardware be removed or just leave it on ?

I am staining a new interior door, should I remove the hinges so I don't have to work around them. Or just leave them on ?
Thanks

Take 'em off. The less you have to work around, the better.

Have you ever had a problem getting them back on straight? That would be the only scary about removing them.

mark everything as to where it came from, like top hinge center hinge bottom hinge. handle inside andle outside etc etc.
I thought mine would be a problem but it wasnt:)
Stripped a old back door, turned out great:)
sid wrote:

If they're loose pin hinges, you remove the door by driving the pins out, then remove the hinge leaves while the door is off. Installation is the reverse, etc.
If the mortises are tight to the hinges, there should be no problem with alignment.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
sid wrote:

take everything off that you can. you'll get a better looking job that way. (just like when you're painting a car, you take the windows out, door handles off, etc.)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
sid wrote:

Remove everything. Doing so:
a) encourages you to work on the door FLAT (on some sawhorses). This eliminates dripping, etc.
b) provides incentives to clean up (or replace) the hardware. I've had to use several applications of paint remover to dislodge the crap that the previous owner applied. After all the paint was removed, some of the hinges looked like crap (rust, peeling brass plating, etc.), so I replaced them with new, shiny, hardware.
Maybe it's just me, but I think painted-over hinges look horrid. And tacky.
Hinges are a commodity item. Take the old ones to the box store and I'll wager you can find an EXACT replacement.

I agree unless they are antique or something very special....A newly finished door needs new hardware to finish it off....

I like to remove the door, remove all hardware and set it uo n a couple of saw horses when I paint or stain.
Jimmie

If you are asking that question I would not like to see your finished jobs

I take all the hardware off, then insert two screws at the very top and two at the very bottom (one in the center and the other near the edge. I then lay the door on two saw horses so that the screws support the door. I finish one side, then I can easily flip the door to the other side. This keeps me from having to wait for one side to dry before turning it over.
Rob