Staining fence

We got a new picket fence installed and are wondering how to stain it.

The issue is that the posts are not the same kind of wood as the rest of the fence, as the posts are pressure treated and the fence is cedar.

Since they're not the same, will they look different after we stain them? We were thinking of some kind of red-ish stain.

Also, my wife had the idea that we could use some kind of stain (or something) on the cedar that would bring its current color our, and then somehow stain the posts to match. I think that trying to get something to match, and for the match to hold, would be hard to do, but I'm not sure.

TIA,

woger151

Yes, they will likely look different, even if they were the same wood. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Staining the cedar is a good idea. Matching will be difficult and it probably won't stay that way unless you use a solid stain, in which case it'll all be equally ugly. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Sikkens SRD is a very good stain. The fence will need to weather before you can seal it at all. They sell sample products so you can test. You will also need to clean the fence before sealing and allow 72 hours drying time before applying.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle