staining concrete

Hi everyone:
I'm looking into finishing my basement and am interested in staining techniques. I have come across a few websites which seem to suggest this is a fairly straightforward process (notably http://www.dcsurfaces.com /). Has anyone in the group had first hand experience with this? If so, can you describe and perhaps share any details you might find useful to a non-professional? Thanks!

I've seen crews of Mexicans doing it with old brooms, mops, and rags. How hard can it be?
Steve

should be done on new concrete, old worn or dirty will get splotchy possibly ugly results

I stained some concrete outside my house. It required a good power washing before starting because any dirt or moss will effect the stain penetration. On a smaller slab I did etch with HCL (hydrochloric acid) from a pool store but on a larger slab I just power washed. Both came out quite evenly and both slabs are over 40 years old.
I just stained a solid color, none of that fancy faux painting techniques. I just didn't want a concrete gray slab next to the house and lawn. I used Red and Green but there were nice shades of brown and tan that were appealing.. That product also had Black and White stains for accent and contrast. About $35 a gallon if I recall correctly. The more you use, the darker and richer the color. The stains are also generally sealers so you get both in one.
What will cause splotcheyness is either different surface textures or different porosity. If the floor had been sealed with a penetrating waterproofer, it might be unadvisable to stain. Does water easily soak in and darken the concrete or does it bead up.
Stain is just a colorant. If you also want the floor to be shiny and smooth, then it may also require surface grinding or many layers of wax and buffing.
pipedown wrote:

I used a concrete stain from one of the big box stores and was very displeased with the results. I was essentially paint, although the label did clearly say stain. There was really no soaking in and now, after about 2 winters, most has pealed off. My question, what is a good concrete stain?

If you use an acid based stain it will hold up pretty well. I did mine several years ago with an adobe color and it still looks good

I have read about coloring concrete immediately after it is poured. I would think anything but gray would look strange--do you ever plan to sell this house?