Staining a patio slider

I need to stain the interior side of my new slider. I am planning on using wood conditioner first but have a couple questions. When I putty the nail holes do I do that first and stain over or do I stain first and then fill the holes? I can't find the matching shade of stain in wood filler so I'm going to have to stain plain filler I guess.

2nd question: Has anyone used wipe on poly? I see it at the hardware stores but I've always used regular poly......and always seem to miss a few drips no matter how hard I try not to. I was wondering if this product might work better on a door that is upright.

As usual...thanks for the info. I'd be lost without you all.

Reply to
new england gal

Fill the nail holes after staining. The putty will not take stain well and even if it did, it will not match the stained wood since you are trying to get two different materials to look the same with the same procedure. It sounds like you are going to be using hobbyist products like Minwax or Zar. Both have putty sticks that match their line of stains so you should be able to match the putty to the stain. You can even use oil paints over the filler. It appears that you are trying to match the stain to the putty - not a good idea from an aesthetic point of view but to each her own.

Wipe on poly is pretty good stuff. It is easy to use and gives good results. It will take more coats to build as much as brushing poly but you don't sound rushed.

Remember to let the wood conditioner dry completely, say, overnight. Ignore the timing on the can. Letting wood conditioner dry for only 30 -

120 min will minimize blotching but not eliminate it. Letting the conditioner completely cure will eliminate it or nearly so.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron