Stain - Sealer question

Hi
I have stained a tabletop. The color looks good but the texture in the light looks a little rough. The feel of the tabletop is also a little rough. I sanded the top to a fairly smooth feel starting with 60 grit sandpaper and going to 220 grit. So I thought the roughness was due to the stain finding the grooves in the wood. I plan to seal it soon with Minwax polyurethane clear satin. I have a couple of questions.
1. Will the sealer smooth out the feel and look of the texture? 2. The instructions say to apply a thin coat and then after it drys sand it lightly and then apply a final coat. Is this correct for a stained top? I only ask because the instructions seem to refer to a sanded unstained surface.
Thanks

Somewhat. Perhaps not the look. >2. The instructions say to apply a thin coat and then after it drys sand it

Tom Someday, it'll all be over....