Stain or Seal New Deck?

I have a new house with a deck that's been sitting in the sun for about

7 months. It needs treatment desperately. Is it beter to stain (our preference is a semi-transparent color) or seal the raw wood with something like Thompson's water seal?

I know once we stain, we're committed to the color. However, if we seal, will the ability to stain in the future be hindered?

Thanks!

Reply to
Squanklin

Go to your local library and read the recent Consumers Report issue on deck treatments.

Hint: DO NOT use Thompson's Water Seal!

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Thanks. Do you remember the month it appeared?

Travis Jordan wrote:

Reply to
Squanklin

If you seal you will no longer be able to stain.

Reply to
Lawrence

Stain doesn't really protect wood. You would still have to seal it.

Reply to
scott21230

July 2006. Here's a quick highlight.

Travis Jordan

Solid stain will not be a problem.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is the deck made of? For woods like mahogany, ipe, cypress, etc, I'd use Penofin oil. If it is pressure treated, I'd use some sort of colored stain

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Who told you that?

Read the following link:

"If there is uncertainty over whether to use a water-repellent preservative or a stain, first apply a water-repellent preservative. It is possible to switch to a semi-transparent stain when the deck needs to be refinished. Even if the deck has been maintained with a water-repellent preservative for many years, an oil-based semi-transparent stain will perform satisfactorily."

Reply to
Ether Jones

The deck is 7 months old and it "needs treatment desperately" ???

What is it made of, cardboard?

Seriously, if your deck is desperate after only 7 months I'd be concerned about the quality of the wood.

"If there is uncertainty over whether to use a water-repellent preservative or a stain, first apply a water-repellent preservative. It is possible to switch to a semi-transparent stain when the deck needs to be refinished. Even if the deck has been maintained with a water-repellent preservative for many years, an oil-based semi-transparent stain will perform satisfactorily."

Reply to
Ether Jones

Who told you that?

Deck stain (at least the deck stain products from reputable manufacturers like Cabot, Olympic, and Flood) effectively protects wood from water and sun damage.

Reply to
Ether Jones

Not having new wood not treated for the first part of its life, if I recall correctly, is actually a good thing. Don't forget to hit it with the sander first ((I'm assuming it's not pressure treated) to open up the pores.

I've had considerable success with Sikkens Cetol 1-2-3. Lasts more than one year and touch ups are only a one coat affair over what is there.

Good luck

My two cents: As I get older, the deck is going to be ripped out and replaced with a stone patio. When I think back over all the work done to try and keep the deck looking good, I shudder and get a little older!!

Reply to
edee em

That used to be the conventional wisdom. But it seems that advice has changed in recent years, at least according to some of the on-line home-improvement websites.

Reply to
Ether Jones

The semi-transparent stain will protect from UV rays better than any clear water seal, plus the stain will last a lot longer. Cabot Decking stain is a good choice, in a dozen colors, about $30 a gallon, and their website will tell you where you can purchase it locally. When you stain, coat the end-grain well. You will need to re-stain every 3-5 years.

Thompson's seal is poor with long-term protection, although better than nothing at all.

Reply to
Phisherman

I disagree, any decent decking stain will seal. I used Cabot Decking stain and my deck is going on 15 years, looks good, no rotten boards yet!

Reply to
Phisherman

Quoting from that article:

For homeowners interested in having the most natural look, CR deemed the clear Olympic WaterGuard 55560, a latex that cleans up with water, as the best and only choice.

Does anyone know if this product is still available, and if so, where? I can't find it at the local Lowes, and

doesn't list it by this name.

I saw this problem the last time CR looked at deck treaments a few years back. All the highly rated finishes had been replaced, or reformulated, in the 3 years it took CR to do the real-life testing.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Sure you will. The transparent sealer weathers off in less than a year especially horizontal surfaces exposed to a lot of sun.

Reply to
NickySantoro

I think PPG has only one 'WaterGuard' wood sealant product.

Travis Jordan

The page I reference above shows one product named "WaterGuard Wood", but shows 4 products that contain "WaterGuard protection". None of them are called "WaterGuard 55560", which is what CR references.

Even if they did only have 1 product, that doesn't mean it's the same product CR tested. Companies change their product lines all the time.

Terry

Reply to
Terry

Deck stains also contain sealant. It's not like the sort of stain you might apply to furniture. That's why they're called "deck stain" and not just "stain" - that's the difference.

You can buy a sealant without stain, and that will protect against water but not sun damage. Deck stains have both sealant and UV protection.

Reply to
basscadet75