Stacking old drier on new washer?

A few years (maybe 5) back I replaced the bearings and seal in our Kenmore front-loading washer, but now it's getting noisy again. (I bought the bearings on eBay, and they may not have been of the highest quality.)

I'm willing to tackle another replacement job, but SWMBO is leaning pretty hard about getting a new washer. Apart from the cost of new washer itself, my other concern is that we have the dryer stacked on top of the washer, and to have unstacked appliances would take a fair amount of reconfiguration of the available space.

So my question is: what are the chances of finding a new front-loading washer on which the old dryer can be stacked?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I'm not sure I understand the complete constraints...

If the question is: "Do they still make stackable washers/dryers (which is not the same as an *integrated* up-and-down washer-dryer)?" the answer is "yes". We looked into buying the "stacking kit" for ours (Samsung) but decided it would be too tall to be useful.

My impression (in our particular case) was that the "kit" was intended to allow *this* dryer to e stacked on *this* washer -- i.e., not "some generic dryer" on this washer (or, "some generic washer").

Reply to
Don Y

OK, let's try again: is an old dryer likely to be able to stack on a new washer of the same width?

IOW, I don't want to have to buy a new dryer as well as a new washer.

I asked at Home Depot (not that we would necessarily buy there), and the response was: "Maybe, but our delivery/installation people would not be allowed to try -- for liability concerns."

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

3 suggestions:

1 - Call "Brand X" Customer Service and ask. Have your dryer model ready and, if possible, the model number of the washer(s) you are interested in.

2 - Stop by an independent appliance dealer, perhaps the store you might actually buy the washer from, and ask them. I won't broad brush all appliance/snow blower/cabinet staff at the borgs by saying that they don't know what they are talking about, but I will say that they are restricted by what they are allowed to suggest due to the very issue you mentioned: liability.

3 - If you can't find 2 units that are meant to stack as a pair, build (or hire someone to build) a rack to hold/support the dryer above the washer.

A wooden example, which could certainly be fancier if aesthetics matter:

A metal stack rack from GE:

A real DIY solution, if aesthetics are not an issue:

DerbyDad03

I'd go to the brand's web site and see if there is a way to contact them and ask. Alternatively, I'd go to the old timey type appliance store and ask. You may get lucky and fine a 75 year old service guy that knows the answer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You'd have to check with the particular and for sure. Models change over time. OTOH, you will be able to find some washer and dryer that will stack.

My gut feel for your use of "likely" is "no".

Understandable. However, I think you may end up fixing the "old" if you want to avoid buying a "new".

Reply to
Don Y

Universal stacking kit

Might be better to make your own platform.

M.L.

Four 2 x 2's for the corner supports and a 3/4 inch plywood top should spread the weight enuf. Some 1/4" plywood for the sides and back should give enuf strength to the overall structure.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Not the question you asked but you already have the bearings. It will take you 1/3 the time to put them in compared to last time. Put them in and worry about the problem in a few years.

Tell your wife I said so.

With the money you save, buy her a turquoise necklace. (I'm just guessing about turquoise.)

Reply to
Micky