Stabil Fuel Additive

I've had a can in the outside garage for around three years. Does it get stale like gasoline and lose effectiveness, or does it have an indefinite life?

Reply to
Jack

Like anything it can get old, but it does have a long shelf life.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Good question ???? Do they have a web site or 800 number? Contact them.

Reply to
anoldfart2

That depends on what the additive is. Call the manufacturer to ask.

Reply to
Shawn Hirn

Thanks. Found this:

What is the shelf life of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer?

2 years after the bottle has been opened, provided it has been tightly capped and stored in a cool, dry place.

Jack

I wonder how long if not opened?

Reply to
anoldfart2

Actually the info at the site doesn't make sense. One oz in 2-1/2 gallons gas keeps the gas fresh for 12 months, and to keep gas for 24 months use twice as much Sta-bil. But, pure sta-bil is good for only 24 months after being opened. In other words, everything goes bad in 24 months. The site also say that gas can go bad in 60 days.

Anyone who has 3 vehicles and only 2 drivers and anyone who has a vehicle used only for recreation in the summer knows that gas does not go bad in

60 days. In fact, for most of us, gas regularly stays fine for a minimum of 6 months. In a full tank gas stays fine for at least 12 months and probably for 24 months. 24 months for gas is getting iffy, but then sta-bil according to the site isn't good for more than 24 months either.

Sounds to me like Sta-bil and gas deteriorate at about the same rate.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

24 months? Even 12 months is stretching it.

In the past, my untreated mowers and tractors, shut down in October, would not start in April unless I added fresh gas to the tank.

The guy who services the chain saw said to change the gas every month and told me to always use high octane. Maybe 2-cycle engines are touchier, I dunno.

Reply to
Jack

You might want to think about changing your service guy! Think about what adding oil to gas does to the octane.

If your mowers and tractors won't start in April then you are doing something wrong that has nothing to do with gasoline deterioration.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Jack wrote: ...

I just run my stuff dry in the fall. No problems in the spring. I do put a little stabilizer in it on the last run.

High octane will not help in any way. I suggest your guy does not know as much as he thinks. He still may be doing a good job for you. I also think the idea of changing out the gas every month is a hoot. It stays in the stations tanks longer than that.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a collector car which sits through the cold Minnesota winter every year, and the gas has never been a problem.

In fact, recently the car sat for three years without being started, through cold Minnesota winters, and it still starts OK, and the gasoline has never been a problem.

Don't know why people spend money on Stabil!

Alan Moorman

_____________________________________

DYSLEXICS OF THE WORLD UNTIE!

_____________________________________

Reply to
Alan Moorman

Sounds like some smart fellow invented a problem to fit his solution! Wouldn't be the first time.

SJF

Reply to
SJF

======================== I use to use STABIL in my snow blower...now I just drain the tank every spring..refill it in the fall... That was the only machine I ever had problems

Like Alan I store a "few" cars over the winter (and I do not start them at all during storage) and have been storing at least one car over the winter for about 30 years now..never had any problems .. I do try to store them with full tanks of gasoline...but honestly that is just my preference..

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.