sta-rite vs flotec

I'm about to pull the trigger on a sprinkler pump. I'm deciding between these two

Flotec FP5242, 1.5HP 27GPM @10' lift and 40PSI, 2" intake, 1.5" discharge. Iron with NOryl impeller. $328

Sta-Rite DS3HF, 1.5HP 30GPM @10' lift and 40PSI, 2" intake, 1.5" discharge. Iron with Noryl Impeller. $420

Both have 1 year warranties and both are made by Berkeley.

My application is a lawn sprinkler pump that will be used during the summer months, once or twice per week.

Thanks for your advice.

CL

Reply to
dnoyeB

I have Flotec with the plastic housing, not iron, and was just searching for parts when I found your question. The best advice I can give you is to search for replacement parts for these pumps before you buy them. You'll have a whole lot of trouble finding parts for the Flotec. I imagine you'll have similar problems finding parts for the Sta-Rite but I really don't know. Again - my pump is the plastic version - cheaper, but it has been a headache for almost the entire 7 years that I've owned it. The design with all the o-rings is prone to vacuum leaks and it won't self-prime (after initial season prime). I have to reprime it every single time I use it and I'm getting tired of that. I'd recommend a Goulds GT15 at $369 internet price free shipping (several places). Parts are available. It is a standard industry pump manufacturer with good products. I'm about to pull the trigger on that one or the GT20 2HP version. I have rights on an irrigation ditch so I pump 24 hours one day a week.

Reply to
Daddy Dave

My pool store has the impeller and gaskets for most StaRites hanging on the wall behind the register. They can order the housing. Pump motors are all pretty generic so a good motor shop will have all of those parts

If you are not in a huge hurry the internet is the best place to buy parts.

Reply to
gfretwell

I doubt is pool stores stock parts for sprinkler pumps. They are considerably different from pool pumps. Maybe they carry them for emptying pools.

Reply to
Bob F

[...]

Interesting. Reading this thread got me interested in self-priming pumps, as I have a non-self-priming sprinkler pump. I had to add a small vacuum pump and a air trap to the pump input to catch air in the incoming water and avoid air-locking the pump. Additionally, I have a simple controller that stops and restarts the pump several times if it doesn't get water flow to flush the air out, and turns it off if the water doesn't flow during the timeout, to avoid pump damage.

I guess the self priming pump is not the solution I was beginning to think.

Reply to
Bob F