Squirrels in the attic...

I'm an idiot! I received allot of good advice and I captured a squirrel in my attic this afternoon. I would like to add one bit of information that NOW seems obvious. SECURE THE ENDS OF THE TRAP IMMEDIATELY! Thinking back I'm surprised it didn't get out when I tilted the trap to get it down through the cut out in the ceiling. In spite of some suggestions it was very calm as I carried it downstairs. In the basement I put the cage down on end, to judge the height that was available in the trap, next to a trash barrel... Did I say I'm an idiot! With the trap on end, the latch swings down and the door opens up. I chased the squirrel through a bulkhead door into a shed attached to the house and locked him in.
In hindsight I think I may not have planned the second half of this operation to well.
I have to go lock the shed door so my wife doesn't open it....
steve

Yes, sir.

Be sure to carrry a key in this situation, so the next time the squirrel locks you in, you'll be able to get out.

Re-read the story. Perhaps firearms are not a good idea in this case.

Most animals I've trapped are docile in the trap but some go berserk. Last raccoon I transported in trunk was unnerving with the racket he made. Probably a good idea to tie rope around trap also.
Frank
| > I'm an idiot! | > I received allot of good advice and I captured a squirrel in my attic this | > afternoon. | > I would like to add one bit of information that NOW seems obvious. | > SECURE THE ENDS OF THE TRAP IMMEDIATELY! | > Thinking back I'm surprised it didn't get out when I tilted the trap to | get | > it down through the cut out in the ceiling. | > In spite of some suggestions it was very calm as I carried it downstairs. | > In the basement I put the cage down on end, to judge the height that was | > available in the trap, next to a trash barrel... | > Did I say I'm an idiot! | > With the trap on end, the latch swings down and the door opens up. | > I chased the squirrel through a bulkhead door into a shed attached to the | > house and locked him in. | > | > In hindsight I think I may not have planned the second half of this | > operation to well. | > | > I have to go lock the shed door so my wife doesn't open it.... | > | > | > steve | > | My Hav-a-hart locks when it trips but I guess upending could unlatch it. | Most animals I've trapped are docile in the trap but some go berserk. Last | raccoon I transported in trunk was unnerving with the racket he made. | Probably a good idea to tie rope around trap also. | | Frank |
just feed it peanut butter from the Georgia plant (#2111, plant number) that'll show em who's boss
As a batteryless version of the 'flipper', I did stop the squirrels from getting at the bird's feeder by simply putting a couple of holes in a metal 1gal paint tin lid and fitting it on the guide wires on the top of a feeder similar to the one shown in your Flipper link. Then hang the whole thing from a length of metal (stainless) coathanger wire. Squirrels negotiating coat hanger wire then have to contend with getting round floppy tin lid - and so far have not managed it. It's planted things I can't protect (without spoiling the whole garden or pots that is)...
Incidentally, I had thought of modifying the squirrel box trap to have an electronic trigger with a pir proximity switch. Any ideas on how to go about this?