Squirrels in my attic

Page 2 of 2

I bought the "Black and Decker Electronic Pest Repeller" from Walmart Model # EW421-2P. It comes 2 per pack with built in night light. Seems like the squirrles left the day I put these in the attic. Good luck.
Ether Jones wrote:

I bought the "Black and Decker Electronic Pest Repeller" from Walmart Model # EW421-2P. It comes 2 per pack with built in night light. Seems like the squirrles left the day I put these in the attic. Good luck.
Ether Jones wrote:

On 1 Oct 2006 06:39:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

How are they getting access to the attic? Are there trees close to the house? Overhanging branches that they are using as freeways? If so, get them trimmed back.
On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 20:01:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@antispam.net (Bill) wrote:

The ones I saw ran up the brick chimney. They can also climb up downspouts, across telephone wires, wooden siding, etc--the little rascals! Our issue is that there are a LOT of squirrels, not enough predators.
Bill wrote:

My neighbor has "squirrels in the attic" problems. He cut back his trees so no limbs are within 10' of his house. So the damn things go to neighboring yards, find a way to the electrical lines, walk the overhead lines to his electrical service, and are right back on his roof. Smart SOB's!
Bob S.
I've had squirrels in my last two houses. I tried spring-loaded rat traps, which didn't really work that well, and avoided poison, since I didn't want a bunch of rotting squirrels in the attic. Live traps work very well, I used peanut butter as a bait. Apparently they'll come back a long way, and pest control in my city recommended I drive them at least 10 miles away, which I did. I caught 13 squirrels in about 4 days, and that seemed to solve the problem.
The next step is to seal any holes they're using. They're good chewers, so you've got to have an effective solution. I packed any holes they were using with steel wool, then sprayed expanding foam to keep it in place, before covering it with wood. In a couple spots, they chewed the wood again, but the steel wool seemingly drives them crazy, and I didn't have any further problems.
You can't let them live in your house, or they'll cause problems. They like to use that plastic-coated wire to clean their teeth, and when they strip off the insulation, you've got a pretty significant fire hazard.
good luck! I'm going to check out that game now...