Squirrels in Attic

I tried mixing a mix of bleach, soap and amonia in a garden sprayer and shooting it into the hole the squirrels threw out my mothballs out of, they just took a months vacation and came back, The pepper around the hole and 2 gallons amonia inside the attic in a bucket did the trick. I think I will build them a house of their own.

Reply to
m Ransley

I have heard on the radio a book advertisement for a book about getting rid of pests.

OIL OF PEPERMINT on cotton balls is a deterrant for rodents. They are supposedly allergic to pepermint. I have not tried this yet, but I am sure that the aroma of pepermint leaking into my living space, kicks the crap out of decaying carcasses of the consumers of rat poison I have left around to get them out. Cheers

Reply to
EIEIO123

In article , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says... :) OIL OF PEPERMINT on cotton balls is a deterrant for rodents. :) They are supposedly allergic to pepermint. :) I have not tried this yet, but I am sure that the aroma of pepermint :) leaking into my living space, kicks the crap out of decaying carcasses :) of the consumers of rat poison I have left around to get them out. :) Cheers :) :)

It seems to be as effective as all other repellents out there. There will be a small percentage that swears by it, the same amount of people that sees no effect. The times I have seen or used various peppermint repellents I'll see a few days of quiet then they return. Actually a container such as an old butter dish with ammonia and a piece of cloth used as a wick seems to last longer than most. Maybe using PM oil the same way may last longer.

Reply to
Lar

For rodents, the best I've found are the old fashioned mouse and rat snap traps. There are 2 tricks to using them, first is finding the bait your varmits like eating, and second is setting them so that they are hair-trigger. It is annoying to come in the morning and find the bait taken and the trap didn't snap. Fortunately, mice are dumb and will keep coming back. Rats are a bit smarter, but if you find bait that they really like, they will go for it even though they know the trap can kill them. I think they are inherent gamblers and will figure they can get the bait away before the trap comes crashing down.

For squirrls, they are a bit smarter, the live traps seem to work the best, and they will go for peanut butter. Just make sure when you release them that you release them 5-10 miles away or they will come back.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I had squirels eat through every one of my outside x-mas lights one year, after that I just leave them on all the time.

They also chewed into many of the heavy guage aluminum wire that is used as ties on my chain link fence, where ties to the top rail, now I have to go an replace most of them.

chewed my cable TV wire up in several places.

I found the perfect solution and funtime entertainment

Pelet gun from my local Box-Mart store.

Now I can sit back on my front porch, sipping on some ice tea, picking the little bastards off.

But just ain't as much fun as using my 44, niegbors don't like the noise and sheerif gets really mad too :)

Reply to
MC

My favorite squirrel info/trapping site:

Message board with tons of advice:

rosebud