Squirrel trapped in attic

Page 1 of 2
For the last month I have had squirrels living in my attic.
I have just bought a trap for catching them alive. Are there any organizations that I can contact that will pick up these trapped squirrels?
Thanks,
Freckles
On 2/18/2014 12:16 AM, Freckles wrote:

http://www.boaconstrictor.net/forums/showthread.php?t#64&page=2
alt.home.repair:

I believe the Gweru, Zimbabwe Society for Ethical Treatment of Animals has a rescue program. Give 'em a call and let us know.
On 2/18/2014 3:01 AM, Nil wrote:

em your bank account number. So they can put the L42,000,000 pounds sterling in.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

If there was, it wouldn't be a nationwide organization.
Take them out to the woods at least a couple miles away. They'll be fine. I saw a squirrel running across my fence this morning, ignoring the 6" of snow on the ground.

That reminds me. I never did hear back from that guy.
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 1:53:18 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Scientists who have actually studied this say you're wrong:
http://totalwildlifecontrol.com/resources/animal-relocation-studies/suburban-squirrel-relocation-study-results/
And that study with poor survival was done in *summer*, an ideal time compared to winter when it's 10F and they have no nest for shelter. Good grief.
I saw a squirrel running across my fence this morning, ignoring

Yeah and it has a nice 2ft thick nest that it built months ago for shelter. The squirrel you dump off 2 miles away in the middle of nowhere, doesn't. The squirrel in your back yard has some idea where it's buried nuts so it can go look for them, too.
On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:45:51 -0800 (PST), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Is that 10 deg F with, or without, wind chill? Squirrels are animate objects unlike inanimate sections of copper pipe, so it makes a big difference. Hehehe.
On 2/18/2014 4:19 PM, Chilly Wliiy wrote:

It's going to get down to 10F with wind chill. Should I wrap my squirrel?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I think a nice raccoon coat would be appropriate.
alt.home.repair:

They'll be fine because they'll come right back to your attic! I've read that you have to take them 5 - 10 miles away before you can be sure they won't return.
On 02/18/2014 12:16 AM, Freckles wrote:

This is an International forum, you need to contact your /local/ authorities.
On 2/18/2014 1:16 AM, Freckles wrote:

And do what with them? Release them a block away?
A couple decades ago, a friend of my father got tired of the squirrel in his bird feeder, so he (military veteran, and lives in the country) shot it. Next day, same deal. He gave up after 300 squirrels.
Please consult with some repair guys, and find out how they are getting in. Patch the holes.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 6:48:30 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

We tried trapping them and taking them for a ride across the river. After 7 0+ squirrel relocations one summer I kept count), I'd had enough so I shot the next one I saw. Didn't see a squirrel for months after that. I guess ne ws travels quickly in the squirrel community.

On 2/18/2014 1:02 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

summer I kept count), I'd had enough so I shot the next one I saw. Didn't see a squirrel for months after that. I guess news travels quickly in the squirrel community.

You realize that the folks on other side of the river had hired a service to deal with the spike in squirrel population. They were doing trap and release on the other side of the river.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Put them on Craig's List under two different categories. Guns and Targets, and as an ingredients for Burgoo.
Freckles wrote:

Not necessary. They leave the attic during the day to look for food. That's when you close up the holes in the attic.

Did it not occur to you that nobody here has any idea where you live? Not even what country, let alone what city?
Why would you think that they'd need to be handed over to someone after being caught? Do you not realize that squirrels have no problems living outdoors?
You must be an american. Only americans are as dumb as you seem to be.
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 8:19:04 AM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

This from the village idiot who doesn't know that squirrels do have a serious problem living outside when it's winter, 0F, the ground is covered with snow and they have no nest for shelter because they've been living in an attic that is now blocked. They will likely die.
The google-groper dumbass trader4, while full-quoting and double-line-spacing, wrote:

What a complete dumbass you are.
If there are squirrels where the OP lives, then they are fully acclimatized to that locality.
Squirrels have no problems living in areas that are heavily snow-covered and remain at temps of under 15f for one or two months at a time. My own back yard has 1+ foot of snow cover and has reached -5 f about a dozen times this winter, and yet I count 10+ squirrels running around.
What an absolute fool you are thinking that squirrels are such delicate creatures.
If the OP was so concerned about them after release, he'd throw down a 10 lb bag of sunflower seeds for them. He MOST CERTAINLY would be seeing other squirrels running around his neighborhood - other than the ones using his attic.
Where are you? New Jersey?
I knew they are dumber than a sack of hammers in NJ - you don't have to keep proving it.
On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:10:11 AM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

Yes, that means they build a suitable nest to protect them from the 0F temps, rain, snow, etc. In this case, they did that in the attic. Locking them out from their nest in the above conditions, and they likely will die.

That's because they have nests that are 2 ft thick that they built from leaves in the Fall, idiot. In this case, the nest is in an attic and you're locking them out.

Idiot. Food <> Shelter.

Here from a squirrel rehabilitator, who actually deals with squirrels, unlike you, idiot:
http://www.squirrel-attic.com/removal.html
" I consider trapping and moving ANY squirrel during the winter a potential death sentence, as they are being moved away from their shelter and from t heir food stores, just when they most desperately need both, and they are g oing to a place which most likely has residents with established territorie s and nest sites who will attempt to repel the intruder. In cases where the homeowner simply cannot leave the squirrel(s) there until spring, they nee d to get them to a rehabilitator who can keep them until it is safe to rele ase them in the spring. "
Why the hell can't you use a real news reader, instead of one designed for use by children and developmentally-retarded people?
The google-groper dumbass trader4, while full-quoting and double-line-spacing, wrote:

You moron.
Squirrel nests are destroyed by wind, rain, ice all the time. Even in winter.
If the OP (who we'll never hear from again) was so concerned, he could put out sunflower seeds and peanuts for a week after the squirrels get evicted.
Squirrels are plentiful enough, and hardy enough, to not need special care as he and you are anticipating.
Animal shelters are stressed enough because of your failing economy. Let them focus their dwindling resources on animals that REALLY need care and rehabilitation.
Animals that do not hibernate (like squirrels, rabbits, birds) are MUCH LESS reliant on shelter in the winter vs animals that hibernate.