Squirrel trapped in attic

For the last month I have had squirrels living in my attic.

I have just bought a trap for catching them alive. Are there any organizations that I can contact that will pick up these trapped squirrels?

Thanks,

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

Steve F.

On 18 Feb 2014, "Freckles" wrote in alt.home.repair:

I believe the Gweru, Zimbabwe Society for Ethical Treatment of Animals has a rescue program. Give 'em a call and let us know.

Reply to
Nil

This is an International forum, you need to contact your /local/ authorities.

Reply to
philo

Similar program in Nigeria, but you have to give em your bank account number. So they can put the L42,000,000 pounds sterling in.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

And do what with them? Release them a block away?

A couple decades ago, a friend of my father got tired of the squirrel in his bird feeder, so he (military veteran, and lives in the country) shot it. Next day, same deal. He gave up after 300 squirrels.

Please consult with some repair guys, and find out how they are getting in. Patch the holes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Put them on Craig's List under two different categories. Guns and Targets, and as an ingredients for Burgoo.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not necessary. They leave the attic during the day to look for food. That's when you close up the holes in the attic.

Did it not occur to you that nobody here has any idea where you live? Not even what country, let alone what city?

Why would you think that they'd need to be handed over to someone after being caught? Do you not realize that squirrels have no problems living outdoors?

You must be an american. Only americans are as dumb as you seem to be.

Reply to
Home Guy

This from the village idiot who doesn't know that squirrels do have a serious problem living outside when it's winter, 0F, the ground is covered with snow and they have no nest for shelter because they've been living in an attic that is now blocked. They will likely die.

Reply to
trader4

What a complete dumbass you are.

If there are squirrels where the OP lives, then they are fully acclimatized to that locality.

Squirrels have no problems living in areas that are heavily snow-covered and remain at temps of under 15f for one or two months at a time. My own back yard has 1+ foot of snow cover and has reached -5 f about a dozen times this winter, and yet I count 10+ squirrels running around.

What an absolute fool you are thinking that squirrels are such delicate creatures.

If the OP was so concerned about them after release, he'd throw down a

10 lb bag of sunflower seeds for them. He MOST CERTAINLY would be seeing other squirrels running around his neighborhood - other than the ones using his attic.

Where are you? New Jersey?

I knew they are dumber than a sack of hammers in NJ - you don't have to keep proving it.

Reply to
Home Guy

I believe there is an organization called P.E.T.A. that can help. That's People Eating Tasty Animals.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Yes, that means they build a suitable nest to protect them from the 0F temps, rain, snow, etc. In this case, they did that in the attic. Locking them out from their nest in the above conditions, and they likely will die.

That's because they have nests that are 2 ft thick that they built from leaves in the Fall, idiot. In this case, the nest is in an attic and you're locking them out.

Idiot. Food Shelter.

Here from a squirrel rehabilitator, who actually deals with squirrels, unlike you, idiot:

" I consider trapping and moving ANY squirrel during the winter a potential death sentence, as they are being moved away from their shelter and from t heir food stores, just when they most desperately need both, and they are g oing to a place which most likely has residents with established territorie s and nest sites who will attempt to repel the intruder. In cases where the homeowner simply cannot leave the squirrel(s) there until spring, they nee d to get them to a rehabilitator who can keep them until it is safe to rele ase them in the spring. "

Reply to
trader4

You moron.

Squirrel nests are destroyed by wind, rain, ice all the time. Even in winter.

If the OP (who we'll never hear from again) was so concerned, he could put out sunflower seeds and peanuts for a week after the squirrels get evicted.

Squirrels are plentiful enough, and hardy enough, to not need special care as he and you are anticipating.

Animal shelters are stressed enough because of your failing economy. Let them focus their dwindling resources on animals that REALLY need care and rehabilitation.

Animals that do not hibernate (like squirrels, rabbits, birds) are MUCH LESS reliant on shelter in the winter vs animals that hibernate.

Reply to
Home Guy

Look you asswipe.

The OP said his squirrels were living for "about a month" in his attic.

Where were they prior to that? It was still winter a month ago.

Where-ever it was - they can go back.

And you know what?

The OP can throw some old furnature stuffing (or buy a bag of synthetic or cotton pillow stuffing) and throw pieces around his yard. The squirrels will gather that stuff up and build new nests with it.

Squirrels are not endangered species and are not worthy (or needy) enough to warrant special handling after trapping / eviction from your attic.

Reply to
Home Guy

And squirrels frequently die when that happens, idiot. Just like if you were living in a cabin and were suddenly locked out when it's

0F.

Who should we believe, you or the squirrel rehabilitator:

" I consider trapping and moving ANY squirrel during the winter a potential death sentence, as they are being moved away from their shelter and from t heir food stores, just when they most desperately need both, and they are g oing to a place which most likely has residents with established territorie s and nest sites who will attempt to repel the intruder. In cases where the homeowner simply cannot leave the squirrel(s) there until spring, they nee d to get them to a rehabilitator who can keep them until it is safe to rele ase them in the spring. "

food shelter, idiot. How about we put you out in the woods when it's 0F and snowing and give you a Big Mac. You can't be that dumb and still breathing, but here you are.

I didn't say they needed "special care". I did say that you can't lock an animal out from it's nest in winter when it's 0F and expect it to survive.

So now you're going to tell the squirrel rehabilitators and animal organizations what to do?

The squirrel rehabilitator who actually deals with squirrels says you're wrong.

Reply to
trader4

Don't get so upset because the squirrel rehabilitator agrees with me. It's certainly not the first time you didn't know what you're talking about. You should be used to it.

He probably doesn't know how long they'be been there for sure. Means nothing.

Why don't you go back to whatever crap hole you emerged from? You contribute nothing in the way of home repair knowledge, just OT BS like a true troll. Oh, btw, genius, wherever is the word and it's not hyphenated.

You're not worthy enough to be here either, but here you are, so there's that.

Reply to
trader4

Gee Homeguy what a bitter fool you have turned into. No longer able to carry on a civil discussion. I think you need to learn to use your kill file.

So speaking of NJ and squirrels. We have flat topped fences around the back yard and year round the squirrels love to run back and forth using the top of the fence.

So in last weeks heavy snow, I look at the fence and it has about 6 inches of snow piled up there. So then a squirrel goes by running along the side of the fence about 6 inches from the top. Made me laugh out loud.

Reply to
Dan Espen

We tried trapping them and taking them for a ride across the river. After 7

0+ squirrel relocations one summer I kept count), I'd had enough so I shot the next one I saw. Didn't see a squirrel for months after that. I guess ne ws travels quickly in the squirrel community.
Reply to
Pavel314

You probably got the last one!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

If there was, it wouldn't be a nationwide organization.

Take them out to the woods at least a couple miles away. They'll be fine. I saw a squirrel running across my fence this morning, ignoring the 6" of snow on the ground.

That reminds me. I never did hear back from that guy.

Reply to
micky