squirrel trap plans

Page 1 of 3
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler /
Steve
Steve B wrote:

The tree branch will be free standing, and not touch the tube. Sorry, that was a crude drawing, but it is that simple. A branch, a barrel, a tube, and some peanut butter and water. I think it will work fine. I'll know soon, as I'll probably get the parts tomorrow and start on it. The squirrels have been collecting the apples on the ground, and it's just about time for them to head up the tree.
Steve

Andy comments:
I've seen a similar device which is used in Asia to catch rats and mice. A squirrel is large compared to the 5 gallon barrel, and they are smart little buggers, so I'd be curious as to whether it works on and animal as large as a squirrel, but good luck....
Many time I have gone into my garage to find a drowned mouse in a 5 gal bucket that has a couple inches of water in it, such as a mop pail that hadn't been emptied....
Please post back here to let us know how the idea works out....
I would suggest putting grease on the part of the tube that will lower the squirrel into the water to make it really slick. Their feet will grip really well, and they, unlike rats, can almost wrap their feet around the tube to get a better grip.
Andy in Eureka, Texas
They use these a lot in the Michigan UP to catch mice. Instead of water they use antifreeze. Not only does it keep the water from freezing but it kills them quicker and keeps the smell down..
What a friend of mine did to keep the squirrels out of his bird feeder was run a wire out to it and hook the wire to a switch in the house. When he saw the squirrel going up the pole to the feeder he would flip the switch. Works great.
Jim

That's one mighty darn smart strong squirrel if they can do it inside the tube!
Steve

Wow !! Why would you assume that the squirrel would ever try to go INSIDE the tube.... You don't know squirrels....... they ALWAYS go on the outside..... Damn smart buggers...... I can hardly ever catch one in a trap. Fortunately, I have a scoped Henry... Works great ...... Much more fun, too...
Andy in Eureka, Texas

Jim E has caught two the first day on his by them going inside the tube. I caught one. I did slather the outside of my tube with peanut butter, and made a nice stepoff point for them to step on to the outside of the tube.
BTW, I don't like the words should, probably, always, and never. They seem like they don't even belong in the English language, as they define nothing.
Steve

Because the squirrels here live in burrows and caves? Tubes and holes are their safe haven, and where they are raised?

No, you don't know the squirrels where I live, or where Jim E. lives. Either you are wrong, or Jim and I have some seriously dumb squirrels. Or the squirrels where you are happen to be neurotic in not liking dark hiding places.
Are they liberal squirrels?
Steve

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing with a bucket

more will just move in, think of stopping a flooding river by bailing with a bucket
reply: And just like the evil republican conservative slum lord that I am, I will keep evicting them. Wait, that's killing them, then evicting them.
Steve
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:16:25 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

More like- think of bailing a boat. You won't dry the river up, but you might get rid of enough to harvest a crop once in a while.
Jim
.

Andy replies:
You're right. I should probably choose my words more carefully. I always give it a try but never seem to be able to accomplish it......
For the record, tho, one can't define "nothing" since there is nothing to define.
Regarding squirrels. OK.... Your experience is probably different from mine. I always prefer to shoot the little buggers with my scoped Henry from the back porch, but I always am aware that many people never have the opportunity......like they should.
I have a good recipe for squirrel stew, tho..... I call it my GSP special (Gustatus Similis Pullus).....
Andy in Eureka, Texas
-snip-

Tastes like chicken? TX squirrels must be different from our grays. The local squirrels are dark meat- most reminiscent [to me] of beef belly.
I must say I haven't eaten any in a long time-- but when I hunted them regularly I usually cooked them in a spaghetti sauce. Lots of garlic, tomatoes and a long slow cook.
So what's your stew recipe?
Jim

Simply wrap the trunk of the tree with a 24" wide piece of aluminum flashing. They can't climb then. Pretty common solution.

And it works fine [12" flashing is what I use] as long as there isn't another tree branch within 5 feet of the tree you're trying to protect--- 10 if it has some height over the target tree.
The squirrels are welcome to my mulberries is so far as there is no guard on the tree. But they rarely climb that tree. They come from my neighbors maple- to his oak- to my maple- to my hickory- BFJ [big f-ing jump] to one spruce- then to the next spruce- down the ash tree-- and over to the mulberry.
My peach tree in the back has some similar access from a couple sumacs and an oak tree. The buggers climb up the kids swings to jump to the cherry trees.
The flashing *has* kept them out of the birdhouse where they killed the owlets this spring-- or maybe they just lost interest.
Jim
-snip-

I do. I toss them into the compost pile & next year they'll be tomatoes.<G>
Automation is a wonderful thing. My garbage folks replaced my two 'customer supplied' cans with one that they supply that the truck can dump. So now I have two garbage cans to play with. Jim
-snip-

I'll give 'em 1/2 of my net worth. . . $0/2.<g>

I'm not fond of heat myself. I played with this right in front of the squirrel cage [the irony escaped me until just now] fan I salvaged from my old furnace. That moves some air!

If some physics geek is reading this I hope he/she chimes in- I'm sure it makes some difference-- just don't know if it makes enough for us to think about.
Jim

I had grandiose ideas of a Rube Goldberg contraption with all sorts of gates, switches, latches, and such. What I ended up with was a sheet metal tube (I couldn't find any poly tube), a 1x3, a hinge, and a couple of other simple things. Total cost at retail, less than one dollar. I put it out this evening with some apples in the water, and some peanut butter in the barrel. I was going to add some yeast, but my wife could not find it, so that might be tomorrow. Instead, I cut some fresh apple slivers and threw them down the canyon side where I know the little darlings live. I will take some photos after it sits for a couple of days.
MAJOR CAVEAT for newbies - check it daily, or the smell will knock you down. Ever dispose of a squirrel the size of a regulation NBA basketball? Don't ask.
Steve
I dont understand why anyone would want to kill a squirrel, they are cute and inoffensive and can be tamed if you want.......
just protect your building so they cant get inside, and to discourage them futher dont leave their favorite foods out, that will only attract them