Squeaky plywood floor - even after screwing down

Just bought a new house, and the floorboards on the 2nd floor squeak. I ripped up the carpet, as I was going to replace it anyways. I put a few 1 1/4" deck screws through the plywood and into the studs. It still squeaks. It sounds as if the squeaking is coming from under a wall (but only when I stop on a particular plywood board).
Any ideas on what to look for, what to try etc.?
Any help appreciated
I had a few spots like that and I found that shimming under the sole plate for that very wall helped, Put glue on your shim as you won't be able to nail it down. On one area I blew some expandable foam into the gap under the sole plate (yes it was out that much). Also keep in mind that it might be connected to truss lift (the roof raises pulling interior walls up with it).
Good luck

I ended up calling a buddy with a bit more experience. He put a few 2" screws in there (and shimmed under the wall). It still squeaked. At this point, it looks like I'll replace the crappy old 1/2" plywood with some new 3/4" plywood.
Thanks all for all the help...
edee em ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) wrote: : I had a few spots like that and I found that shimming under the sole plate : for that very wall helped, Put glue on your shim as you won't be able to : nail it down. On one area I blew some expandable foam into the gap under : the sole plate (yes it was out that much). Also keep in mind that it might : be connected to truss lift (the roof raises pulling interior walls up with : it).
: Good luck
: : > Just bought a new house, and the floorboards on the 2nd floor squeak. : > I ripped up the carpet, as I was going to replace it anyways. I put a : > few 1 1/4" deck screws through the plywood and into the studs. It : > still squeaks. It sounds as if the squeaking is coming from under a : > wall (but only when I stop on a particular plywood board). : > : > Any ideas on what to look for, what to try etc.? : > : > Any help appreciated : >
-- Geoff
I have exactly the same problem. I'm about to slither under the house and try to screw the plywood up into the wall.
That just doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean...
Larry

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 20:22:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@gradient.cis.upenn.edu (Geoffrey Egnal) wrote:

How thick is the plywood ? Try screws at least 1" longer than the thickness of the plywood. Put one every 6" into a joist. Have a large friend stand next to where you are putting the screw, on top of the joist.