Squeaky hardwood floor

I am getting static from other occupant about squeaky hardwood floor in hall, through which I must constantly pass.

He's light sleeper; won't use ear plugs; I have to do ***something.***

This is an old So. Calif. stucco house. Crawl space -- no basement.

I just read up on this squeaky hardwood problem, but my days of getting under there with the black widow spiders are over.

This one is from on top.

There's also a site that suggests sprinkling baking soda down the cracks. Anybody tried this?

Would welcome any experience.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I can easily use ear plugs when awake and I do. When sleeping, they are scary or worse.

Reply to
micky

I have them too. I saw on TOH years ago where Tom Silva used screws specially made for tightening squeeky floors. You pre-drill a pilot hole and screw them into the flooring so it secures the flooring to a joist below it. Then the top of the nail shank can be broken off leaving the secure part of the screw below the surface of the flooring. Looks pretty effective (if you don't mind little holes in your floor stips).

I'd search google for "silencing squeeky floors" Good luck.

Reply to
BobMCT

Thanks; I did find a site -- think it was TOH -- about that procedure. The screw head is supposed to break off below level automatically, after which one fills the hole with (colored) wood filler.

Any actual experience out there?

I'm workin' on it. Real world experience like this NG is so valuable!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

He's the one complaining, why doesn't HE do something?

Reply to
dadiOH

Have you thought of losing some weight???

Reply to
hrhofmann

I've used nails, shims on top of joists, and finishing a floor with coats of polyurethane. Never tried screws.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The shim method gets recommended a lot, but I'd rather not get down in the crawl space with the black widow spiders if I can fix it from inside.

How does finishing floor with urethane cure squeak?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Have the whiner notify the landlord and he'll get right to it...

Reply to
Tekkie®

Yo, Greg - what's with the urethane re: floor squeak? RSVP SVP

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

well you might try a plush rug pad and thick carpet...

but start by paying someone knowledgable to do the job

Reply to
bob haller

hall, through which I must constantly pass.

under there with the black widow spiders are over.

It's my ancient castle, and I have to do most everything I can do, and some things I can't. Lucked out earlier this; recommended handyman did a bunch of stuff much better than I could, but need to watch my pennies.

BAKING SODA!!!!

Reply to
Higgs Boson

in hall, through which I must constantly pass.

ng under there with the black widow spiders are over.

some things I can't. Know a wonderful handyman, but can only afford to us e him for stuff I REALLY can't. Was thinking about it when I read here abo ut

(oops...musta hit Send..)

Whoinhellwouldathought baking soda would work!!!!

I strewed it over trial area that squeaks worst; mooshed it sideways into c racks, spread carpet over it and mooshed around some more.

SQUEAK LESSENED!!!

Figures, when you think of it, which I did not; it fills cracks between old hardwood strips to keep them from rubbing against each other. Now will ex pand treatment to most-trodden areas -- "paths" that one follows from room to room -- and see how long treatment lasts.

Joy to the world!!!!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Holds the individual boards together.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Higgs Boson posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Measure with your amp and headphones! I am sorry Higgy but I could not resist...

Reply to
Tekkie®

to cracks, spread carpet over it and mooshed around some more.

old hardwood strips to keep them from rubbing against each other. Now wil l expand treatment to most-trodden areas -- "paths" that one follows from r oom to room -- and see how long treatment lasts.

No prob, Tekkie..I could use a little humor at this point. When I wear my hearing aids, the floor creaking is beyond belief. Bet it would blow the a mp & headphones .

It doesn't look like the baking soda will do it, long-term, so I have to g ear up to do the drill w/tiny bit, screw that break off head, fill holes. Courtesy of a couple of NG members and Web sites. Thanks, guys.

I hate the damn hearing aids, but the audiologist said they would "reprogr am" my brain after a year, so the noise volume isn't so startling. Au cont raire, I'm losing the few marbles I had left

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

[...]
[...]

Update: This site

has a simple, clear video about how to use their kits, both into joist and just into subfloor.

They don't say how far apart screws should be driven. Many of my squeaky floor boards are 10' long or more. Any advice?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

into cracks, spread carpet over it and mooshed around some more.

en old hardwood strips to keep them from rubbing against each other. Now w ill expand treatment to most-trodden areas -- "paths" that one follows from room to room -- and see how long treatment lasts.

y hearing aids, the floor creaking is beyond belief. Bet it would blow the amp & headphones .

gear up to do the drill w/tiny bit, screw that break off head, fill holes. Courtesy of a couple of NG members and Web sites. Thanks, guys.

gram" my brain after a year, so the noise volume isn't so startling. Au co ntraire, I'm losing the few marbles I had left

Higgy, I consider hearing aids a racket. I understand they work - mostly - but I am very wary of the salespeople. Big bux aren't they?

Reply to
Tekkie®

No prob, Tekkie..I could use a little humor at this point. When I wear my hearing aids, the floor creaking is beyond belief. Bet it would blow the a mp & headphones .

[...]

rogram" my brain after a year, so the noise volume isn't so startling. Au contraire, I'm losing the few marbles I had left

HUGE! I'm fortunate to have insurance that mostly covers them, but can onl y get new ones every 3 years, and the technology doesn't seem to progress m uch.

Your statement about "racket" is too general for my scientific mind . Maybe you're thinking of those TV ads? Good heavens, no, no, no.

Anyone who needs hearing corrected should go to an audiologist for a thorou gh workup. If audiologist finds special problems, he/she might refer you to an MD specializing in hearing problems. If not, they can suggest the appr opriate aid.

Like any medical/dental need, the best way to locate a provider is to ask, ask, ask among your friends, colleagues, family. And listen CAREFULLY how they describe the provider. Reason I caution that: Some people are just t oo apathetic or scared to change doctors even when it's clearly indicated. I have them in my family!

Good luck!

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Higgs Boson posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

Not that it matters, I am just curious, are you male or female? It's just the fact I have never encountered a person named Higgs. I main no disrespect and if I have offended you my apologies.

Reply to
Tekkie®