Squeaky floors

What is the best way to quiet squeaky floors?

The room in question has vinyl sticky tile over 4x8 sheet of ply wood. The room below it is finished, so i have no access to the floor joists from underneath. I would prefer not to take up the tile to remedy the problem, but will consider it if this is the only solution. Is there anything that can be done to quiet the squeaks?

Thanks

Reply to
Jon

It depends which part of the floor is squeaking. I found my timber floors and stairs were less squeaky when I replaced the skirting boards.

Reply to
ben.aust

When I replaced my upstairs floor coverings, prior to doing so I tightened up the floors. My subfloors were plywood nailed to the joists. Over time, from traffic and seasonal expansion and contraction the nails in many spots were loose. I put a screw about an inch from each nail over the whole floor. Took me and my two sons about three hours.

That was two years ago. Floors are quiet.

Don't know of anything you can do without removing the floor covering.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I know of no way without taking the the tile or less desirable opening up from below.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan