squeaking floor boards

I am putting down wall to wall carpet over an old wood floor. Almost every board squeaks. What type of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes down? I don`t want squeaks after the carpet is in. Thanks

Reply to
glen

If there is absolutely no chance of that floor ever being used by you or anyone else as a finished floor, then get the screw gun and a lot of screws out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Quickest way is to use ring shanked nails in a power nailer. Check your local tool rental if you don't have one. Sounds like the floor has no other future, so even if you did hardwood later, you'd want the old flooring tight so you could put down the new stuff over it. (Power nailers are more fun than paint ball guns...Pow!...Pow!...Pow! Everyone will be impressed.) HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

A screw comes to my mind. Maybe a few if the squeaky area is large enough. (ie: covers a few joists, or is a few feet long.

You could also check to see if your joist is warped, (bowed down) and if so might want to put some wedges in under the flooring to level the wood floor before the carpet goes in. If the ceiling below is finished, you might want to think twice before ripping it apart to check for warped joists.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

In time, wood has a dendency to looses it's grip on the nail. Screws have better long term holding power.

Carolyn

Reply to
Carolyn Marenger

Chain stores e.g. Home Depot sell special (non-rusting) screws for securing floors.

-- Don Phillipson Carlsbad Springs (Ottawa, Canada)

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Glen:

G > I am putting down wall to wall carpet over an old G > wood floor. Almost every board squeaks. What type G > of nail or fastener should i use before the carpet goes G > down? I don`t want squeaks after the carpet is in. Thanks

I'd go with 2-2«" screws. Personally like the Robertson head -- has a small square indented into the head. Won't strip out like Phillips yet has the screwing stability like a Phillips (as opposed to a straight slotted screwhead). Used a variable speed cordless drill: start slow, then bare down and drive the screw in.

We used a stud-finder to locate the floor joists. For most of the squeaks in the Dining Room floor a well-placed screw took care of the problem. (Ummm, I think I just gave someone an opening like what happened to the lightbulb thread! )

  • Odd Ads -- Fathers Day Sale: Tampax Tampons .99
Reply to
barry martin