Squeaking Floor...Anyone Try Those Braces?

I have a home repair catalog that sells metal braces to be slipped between the floorboards and the supporting joist of a squeaky floor to stop the squeaking. They are toe-nailed into both the joist as well as the floorboard, and in appearance they resemble the letter "F."

Has anyone used these, and do they work? Thanks.

Reply to
Mrs. Kerchief

=>I have a home repair catalog that sells metal braces to be slipped =>between the floorboards and the supporting joist of a squeaky floor to =>stop the squeaking. They are toe-nailed into both the joist as well =>as the floorboard, and in appearance they resemble the letter "F." =>

=>Has anyone used these, and do they work? Thanks.

Reply to
Cool Hand

No, no. This is about the fifth year I've posted on this subject, and I found the anti-squeak floor braces in a catalog and on a website called

The braces are extremely expensive, four for $14.99. I'd need at least 100, that's why I'm asking.

Reply to
Mrs. Kerchief

What's wrong with a squeaking floor? I live, for the first time in a relatively old (125 years) house. The first couple of nights the squaks, creaks, groans etc. made my sleep fitful. Now I only wake up at an extremely loud (my security alarm) noise or something, even a very quiet something, out of the ordinary. A squeaking floor is of a piece with an undone lock of hair, etc. as opposed to hair or clothes plastered or cinched in place:

A sweet disorder in the dress kindles in clothes a wantonness...

Richard Herbert, I think, 1700s zemedelec

Reply to
Zemedelec

Man, I've often quoted poetry on newsgroups, but *NEVER* on alt.home.repair! Oh, wait-- 'Gather Ye Rosebuds While Ye May/Old Time Is Still A-Flying...'" And for those of us whose floors squeak like the galley of a clipper ship, gathering rosebuds comes hard, because we're so tired from being awoken by the footsteps of others in the night... :)

Reply to
Mrs. Kerchief