Square D electrical panel question

Page 13 of 15

This usually involves someone working on a ceiling light or other electrical equipment.

Here's a novel idea, turn the light off first.
--
Seen in a health food store:
Shoplifters will be beaten over the head with an organic carrot.

The problem is when there is more than one circuit in the box or when people assume all white wires (neutral here) will be grounded. If you open up that wire nut only one of those wires with be ground, the others may be at full line voltage through the connected load.

Firstly, why on earth would you have more than one lighting circuit? Secondly, if you do, simply use a multimeter!
--
"If you have voted after you are dead, there is a good strong possibility that you did something illegal." -- Kevin Shwedo, California DMV director

They tend to use the large ceiling boxes as junction boxes and there may be a number of circuits radiating from there. We don't have loops.
The other problem is, as long as all the neutral wires are connected, it will be near or close to 0 volts. It is when you open that circuit that you see line voltages through connected loads.

How weird. My electricity travels to each lightswitch in turn, then IF the switch is on, then there is electricity at the light. Why send the electricity to the light, down to the switch, then back up to the light?

Which is harmless as a load has resistance.
--
"There are more planes in the ocean than submarines in the sky."
- From an old carrier sailor
On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 6:40:02 PM UTC-4, Mr Macaw wrote:

Because it's often easier and often saves wire.
Source wires to switch box, hot switched, then to fixture box:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/IcZAP.png
Source wires to fixture box then *hot* wire to switch box and back to fixture box:
http://www.how-to-wire-it.com/images/2-way-power-at-light.jpg
It all depends on the physical layout and how easy it is to run the wires.
On Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:33:45 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

The (well, one good one anyway) reason is it is easiest to make your runs across the ceiling from light to light, and then just drop the switch lead down the wall to the switches.
If you are separating lights from other loads, the lighting wires are in the ceiling, and the other load wires run in the floor, and up to the outlets. That way you are not running wires through the walls and getting tripped up by doors, heating ducts, and plumbing in the walls.. Of course this is assuming not "on-slab" - with a basement or accessible crawl space.

Our wiring is radial, not a loop. They have a code change now that will make these 2 wire switch loops (down to the switch) less popular but there are millions of houses with them. Now they must bring the neutral to all switch locations so feeding it from the line neutral pair is desirable.

What is the resistance of the load (100ohms?) and what is the resistance of your body (100,000 ohms). Mr Ohm says .12v will be dropped across the load and 119.88v will be dropped across your body.

I've done that. Surprise.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

At my last place of work, some contractors were extending the (3 phase) building. Irish electricians (oh my god the worst nationality to choose) confused the old wire colours with the new ones and mistook a phase for neutral. Hence some sockets got two phases instead of a phase and neutral. The computers caught fire, a surge protector melted into a glob of molten plastic, there was an awful smell, and we got a huge insurance claim for 40 new computers. I fixed the "broken beyond repair" computers for 50p each by replacing a capacitor in the power supplies.
--
I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

I see, so you're being way too safe again. Bunch of pansies is what you are. When we put in RCDs at 30mA, it was advertised you wouldn't even feel it when you touched the live. I touched a live wire on my mower without any breaker on it (a rat had chewed the flex) and had my bare feet on the ground. I jumped SLIGHTLY and said "Ayabastard!" Having that on a trip would have reduced it to un-noticeable..
--
A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running "a bit peaked."
Air Traffic Control told the fighter jock that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down.

You can get your bell rung pretty good at 30ma. Even the 5ma will wake you up.
I do think you should go easy on the "pansy" talk tho. 300,000,000-400,000,000 million guns don't seem to scare us much and well over a million are even machine guns.

Not for a very short period of time, which is all the breaker allows.

You have guns BECAUSE you're scared.
--
Extract from a customer complaint letter sent to The Body Shop:
I recently shampooed my pet rabbit with Body Shop shampoo. Its eyes bulged out and turned red. If you tested your stuff on animals like everyone else, this sort of thing wouldn't happen...

We have guns because we can. The thing a lot of people do not understand is there is a very active shooting sport community here. Beyond hunting we also have skeet, trap, sporting clays and a number of different target sports. That is where most of the billions of rounds of ammo that get fired here are used. It is just not worthy of putting on CNN.
This is simply another country with another culture. You are 3000 miles away, I think you will be safe if you stay there.
On 10/03/2016 19:37, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Yup, I can virtually guarantee that fact.
--
Bod

M'colleague went on holiday to the USA, and he was advised by the travel agent not to upset any drivers, as it's quite likely they'll get out of their car and shoot you for cutting them up.
--
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire. -- US Air Force training manual.

In Miami they had to stop putting rental car identification on the cars because it was identifying tourists who were more likely to be "soft targets" because they will never be armed.

You're helping to make my point that you're all nuts!
--
8 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.