Square bathroom light fixture

How do I get this open? I've tried pinching, twisting and pulling. I don't want to break it... does anyone know a technique?

There's a small notch under the sticker. Tried prying it open using a screwdriver but it just seemed to stress the plastic to the point of snapping.

Cheers.

Pic:

Harry

plastic to the point of snapping.

To the best of my knowledge the residential light fixture that by design requires a tool to access the bulb/s does not exist.

"If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed to be fixed anyway." -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

There are probably metal fingers holding a flange at the top of the plastic diffuser. Try pressing the plastic in at the top edge (where the plastic meets the black frame) halfway between the corners. Press gently so the plastic gives a little while pulling down gently. There may be just two fingers, so push the plastic on opposite sides and try the alternate opposite sides if it doesn't come loose the first time.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

Harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Don't pry, but PUSH through the notch while PULLING down on the lens.

There will be a small hooked tab in the lens above the notch. This hooked tab must be temporarily pushed out of the way of its receiving recess in the body while pulling down on the lens. There will be more than one of these, so once you've pushed/pulled on that notch, continue to apply downwards pressure on the lens as you push inside the OTHER notches, until the lens starts to come free.

This method of construction is extremely common in consumer electronics, and in other injection-molded products. It's annoying and fragile, but we're stuck with it because that's the way they do it these days.

Reply to
who