Sprinkler system shut off valve

I moved into my new house 3 years ago. The first 2 years that I was here I would shut off my sprinkler system with 2 different shut off valves that the former home owner installed. The first 2 Springs, I needed to replace my anti siphon valve because the shut off valves both leaked enough to allow the brass valve to fill up and crack. For my 3rd winter, I installed unions and just took the brass valve into the garage for the winter. This worked to prevent damage to the valve however the pipe still oozed water all winter. Does anyone know of a sure fire way to shut the sprinklers off for the winter?
Dave wrote:

First they should not leak at all. Fix the leaks. Second were the lines purged for winter?
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
There should be a shut off inside the house, and then once shut off, drain the remainder of water in the lines to the manifold., thats outside under ground.
Tom.

replace the valves they should not leak at all. Regards Gary WWW.LIsheds.com Storage Sheds for the NY tri state area