Sprinkler system: How difficult to add a stage?

Hi all:

First time poster.

I am hoping to add a small stage to an existing system. The closest place to pull water from -Stage 3- already has nine Rainbird 1800's so I don't think tapping into that is an option?

The area I am trying to irrigate is about 80' x 30' and terraced. It is located between Stage 3 and a drip irrigation stage (6).

Do I need to find the valve box and run pipe from there directly to the new area?

How deep would you put the lines in the Denver Foothills area?

Any advice or appropriate links would be appreciated.

TIA

Reply to
quinnto

How far to the valve box? If it isn't too terribly far I would run a new line for your new area, that would give you finer control over the system should a problem arise. But that's just my humble opinion. I would assume there is a manifold somewhere around there that pipes water to each area.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Nine? Wow, that seems like alot for one zone. (or stage as you call them) No. Tapping Zone 3 should not be done. You need at add a zone.

You'd need at least 6 RainBird Maxi-Paw impact sprinklers to do an area of that size.

Yep. You'll need to add a valve, plus wiring back to your sprinkler controller. Then you'll need to run all the lines for the new zone and install all the heads. It's back breaking work, BTW.

Most of my lines are about 1' deep, with the exception of the hard PVC supply lines going to the valve boxes. Those are only 6-8" deep. As another poster already pointed out, they don't need to be really deep , because they're not below the frostline. They get blown out with compressed air before winter.

Good Luck!!

Reply to
J.A. Michel