Sprinkler system gets car everyday?

I am in South Florida where we use ground water for the lawn sprinkling systems. My car gets sprayed very heavy twice a day. I have contacted the landlord for 3-4 weeks now but nothing is happening. I would like your input as to what the water damage to my car now & over a period of time. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Don't tell me what I can understand, tell me what I can't mis-understand (Gen. Douglas McArthur)! No matter what you do you are a problem solver....what do you do? Arthur, Website:

Email: snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Reply to
Arthur

Water by itself should not damage your cars finish. However, what is in the water may be harmful over time. Hard water will leave water spots made up of mineral deposits. Rubbing associated with removing these spots may leave microscratches in the finish ultimately resulting in a haze or loss of gloss. This is also true of common dust that lands on a dry car and is fixed in place by a morning dew (as is common in CA where I live). Any deposition of abrasive material is not preferred but it is also inevitable.

However, if you wax (or use other polymer sealer etc) your car regularly and use plenty of soap to clean it you will minimize the permenant damage. Find a good treatment that beads the water and keep it clean. If you care about the finish, never let anyone write in the dust on your car.

More damage is probably done to your car's finish by automatic car washes or the sun or hail or birds than the sprinkler. This is going to happen no matter what. Your sprinkler problem is probably more of a cosmetic concern than a long term one.

Reply to
AutoTracer

it depends upon what's in that water. if it's hard (and i'd assume that it is, in that area), then the water spots will be pretty hard to get off. the more you get on it, the harder it will be.

park somewhere else, or put up some kind of barrier.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

They water the lawn twice a day??????? That is crazy. Mebbe the timer is on the fritz. Our city building code will cite an owner for misdirected sprinklers if the owner doesn't care for them. In south Florida, water isn't something to waste.

Reply to
NorMinn

Thanks for your input. I lived in Menifee Valley for 5 years and used Meguiars wax religiously. The

3 step method at least twice a year, the spray cleaner, and a duster. I put a lot of effort into keeping my vehicle like new and even got remarks about that. When & if they fix the sprinkler system I plan on getting another Meguiars detail, fortunately I had it done 3-4 months ago. This is leaving some spots which I removed via A Meguiars "Scratch X" on a Sunday and was told the sprinklers were done now but on Monday it did it again.

inevitable.

Reply to
Arthur

In South Florida that is not a problem> Most lawns including me when I has a house would water the lawn several times daily. Heck you can go down 2 ft & hit water here in South Fla.

Reply to
Arthur

when I has a

down 2 ft &

My understanding is that watering often causes the roots to all grow at the surface, rather than seeking water deeper in the ground. Thus, it ends up more sensitive to drought. The usual recomendation is 1 inch each 5-7 days. Watering as often as you say just wastes water. I keep reading about the everglades drying up. Is that caused by excessive watering lowering the water table?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I agree that 2X a day is excessive watering and poor practice. Excessive watering promotes shallow roots, which just makes the lawn need more frequent watering. It also promotes disease and fungus.

As to watering the car 2X a day, I have to disagree with the poster claiming this is not harmful to the car. Even pure water works it's ways into nooks and crannies, nicks in the metal, etc., where it can remain for many hours before it drys out. Over time, this promotes rust. Just take a piece of steel and leave it out in the rain as compared to keeping it dry and you will see what happens. Modern cars have pretty good protection against rust, but it's not perfect and over time the frequent exposure to water will have an effect.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I agree that 2X a day is excessive watering and poor practice. Excessive watering promotes shallow roots, which just makes the lawn less need more frequent watering. It also promotes disease and fungus.

[...]

Make sure your car windows are closed and it will be fine

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

Aquifers in Florida have been down for years. Some geniuses want to store reclaimed water (treated sewage) in empty aquifiers. Water, water, everywhere and not a drop to drink, but we have a heck of a lot of green golf courses :o)

Reply to
NorMinn