sprinkler system

I fix one thing another breaks. Just got my back flow assembly replaced last week. Yesterday morning I noticed the sound of water flowing through pipes in my back yard. It was my irrigation system. One of the selenoid valves is not closing properly. I know nothing about these valves assemblies. Could it be only the selenoid or is it likely the whole assembly? Is current supplied when the valve is open or closed?

Thanks,

Matt

Reply to
MattMika

MattMika wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Two possibilities, one is that dirt got in the valve from your other repair, not allowing the valve to fully close. Try cycling that station a couple of times, or better yet, take a head off that station and purge the line. If that doesn't work, then the spring in the valve is probably weak. I had the same problem and had to replace the valve. A lot of digging and hard work. They do sell the internals for valves, but mine is

20 years old, and they didn't sell them any more.

Good luck.

Reply to
Dave Solly

A solenoid is essentially an magnet that opens and closes a valve. Valves can be normally open or normally closed. The magnet pulls on an actuator to do either of the operations. For a sprinkler, you'd want normally closed valves.

If the spring inside is broken, it would not close when the magnet stops pulling. If the actuator is jammed, it may not close when the magnet stops pulling. I don't know your particular valves, but I'd check to see if it has broken spring , shaft, or whatever is inside first. It may be easily repaired.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Normally solenoid valves "fail closed" if it's the solenoid itself. I suspect either the controller has failed (permanently sending power to that particular zone) or the solenoid valve assembly has gone belly up. Quick check with the voltmeter will tell the tale...

Reply to
Andy Hill

Check your water system pressure. If it is over 60 psi you need a regulator. I had problems with solenoids not closing until I reduced my pressure from 80 to 50 psi.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Matt-

What brand of valve do you have?

I've been using Champion manual valves & solenoid vavles for ~30+ years.

The brass valve bodies last a very long time, the electrically operated "valve actuators" can be replaced or rebuilt (your choice) & the solenoids can also be replaced seperately.

I've had to replace tacutators only once in 30 years (after about 20 to

25 years in service some still going).

I've got a couple actuators & rebuild kits sitting on my workbench, I might rebuild them if I get bored but at ~$30 for new ones every 20 years or so I've got some time.

Their website is down but was very useful when I visited when it was working

I suggest using the brass units(either the compact one or the full sized ones) & statying away from the plastic ones.

Typically my solenoid actuated vavles fail closed & when they leak it's a dirt or rubber component problem

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207