sprinkler shutt-off valve in freezing climate

theres a dry system, that uses a rubber bladder and compressed air.

the sysatem is dry till a sprinkler opens so freezing isnt a issue past the bladder point

a company I worked for went to that system to save heating the building

Reply to
hallerb

Somewhere in heated space like the laundry room, if possible. I had outside water shutoffs installed well inside a partially heated garage, as an example.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Hello, I live in Canada and have underground sprinklers.. In the fall before freeze up, we blow out the sprinklers with compressed air and disconnect from the house system. It's common practice up here.

Reply to
Jimi

I just installed a sprinkler system at my house. I tied it into the main line down in my basement using a ball-valve shutt-off and included a drain for the system.

My dad is going to install a system at his house but has no basement. How do you typically install a main shutt-off and/or drain valve and tie it into the main line in a region where freezing is typical (Colorado) if you don't have a basement? If he ties it into the main line under the house he has to try to get into the crawl space every year to access the shuttoff valve, not a good option. If he ties it in outside he has to install the shutoff valve deep enough so it doesn't freeze... 4 feet or so. That's a large access hole to dig and have in the yard.

Thanks

Reply to
ashroyer

Hmmm, I am in Calgary, cold in winter. I have shut off valve inside basement. I blow the system as well before winter sets in.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My house is set up like your Dad's. My best friend is a plumber, and it gets very cold here. He said it is best to leave it in the crawl space.

So, every spring, and every fall, I put on a pair of paper type overalls with a hood, and a pair of knee pads. Very fashionable I know.

It does not take more than five minutes to crawl into the space and turn the main handle off.

I also have my sprinkler system blown out. If I get to where I am not healthy enough to get underneat the house, the folks who turn off my system will gladly turn it off.

This way, I don't have to worry about freezing problems.

Hope this helps.

Corinne

Reply to
Corinne