Sprinkler Repair

I'm new to sprinkler system repair. I want to replace a nozzle on a pop up head. Simple enough. My question is this: How do I get the pop up head to stay up after the sprinklers are off so that I can screw on the new nozzle?
--
Ross Payne

By hand. Pull it up, hold the stem and work. In a pinch I have used help to do this while I go get something <g>. -- Oren

Like the previous poster stated, pull it up by hand. If you can't get it a hold of it sometimes a screwdriver helps. Put the tip of the screwdriver into the little slot the water sprays out and "coax" it up.

Most sprinkler manufacturers have a plastic clip widget that you can snap onto the sprinkler while it's up. It then prevents it from going back in so you can work on it. They also have a tool you can insert into the head to pull it up. You can probably get them online or from a local supply house.
Thanks very much, all, for this helpful information.
Ross Payne

pop up

nozzle?
A rubber band would do the job also.
Bob

When mine was popped up I wrapped some tape around the bottom of the pop-up. The tape made it too big to slip back down, so it stayed up. Electrical tape is not too gooey. Try to use as little water as possible, since that could keep it from sticking.
BTW, I tried to replace one with the water on. I got it off but couldn't get it back on (couldn't get the screw started against that pressure).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com