Sprinkler Pump relay location

Should I mount the sprinkler pump relay in the basement near the fuse panel. That also happens to be relatively close to the control unit. Or should I mount it outside near the pump itself.
Seems like having it inside is better since I have that option. Just wondering if there is anything I have overlooked here.
Thanks,
CL

You might as well keep it inside near the controls. You should have some sort of disconnect such as a switch or a cord that unplugs at the pump location for servicing purposes.
John Grabowski wrote:

how about one of those fuse panels like what is going to and next to my AC unit outside?

If you really want to get fancy and provide some real protection for the motor, install a magnetic starter with an on/off switch. You didn't say how much HP this pump has, but a fused or unfused switch will work.
Best if possible to keep electrical/electronic devices inside away from moisture, dust, and extreme hot/cold temperatures like found outside.
Some relays have small openings and dust/moisture can get inside.
Also you would have more wiring connections if this was placed outside. Wiring connections outside have the same problem with moisture. Best to have as few connections outside as possible.